It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:46 pm 
ADMIN

This might have been it..... not quite the point I am making now.... but Jeralyn's stuff is always worth repeating.....

Rumpole wrote:
I came across this excellent reply by "TalkLeft" at the TalkLeft forum.

http://forums.talkleft.com/index.php

Replying to a poster who (like many) insists on picking away at minor points and MISSES the larger picture

(Bold words inserted by me)
Quote:
XXXXXX You might see more clearly if you'd look for his (Zimmerman's) narrative of events instead of nitpicking answers to questions that include misinterpretations of what he just tried to explain.

He really doesn't vary from his narrative. Does that make it true? Who knows. But his version is consistent, it's hampered only by questions which misstate his previous answers.

How many times did he tell Singleton the circling was when he was at TTL, and the circling is not the same event as the one when Trayvon first approached his car at the clubhouse? At least 3 by my count.

Who cares whether it's by the clubhouse or at the clubhouse? Maybe he also stopped at the mailboxes. This is the night of the event and the next day and he's trying to recount a traumatic event step by step. That’s difficult for anyone to do.

I make my clients “walk me” through traffic stops and arrests and searches step by step, as close as possible to the event, before their memories fade. They get frustrated, they want to tell the main points and I want baby steps, in sequence. Getting the exact events for a traffic stop can take 3 hours of questioning, and there is no trauma like an assault or death involved. GZ was interviewed for less than two hours, by an officer not familiar with the neighborhood, who hadn’t been to the scene, who kept mixing things up when she repeated what she thought he had said. He started out trying to give her the main points, not knowing to distinguish between point A and point B. When she mixes the two up, he is quick to correct her on all points. He also corrects Serino on the dispatcher not instructing him not to follow Trayvon

He never varies on where Trayvon attacked him, when TM ran, that he cried out for help, that the guy who came out went back in to call 911 instead of helping him . That he was attacked for no reason, out of nowhere. That he kept asking for the police to come. That he never confronted or intended to confront TM, he expected police to do that. That he thought he was responding to the dispatcher’s questions when he got out of the car – to get an address and see which way Trayvon had run.

The jury won’t nitpick this. Why? Because it’s all pretty irrelevant to the charges: Did Trayvon attack him, and when he shot him, did he reasonably believe himself to be in danger of serious bodily injury or death?

No matter where he was, there’s no indication he did anything to provoke Martin’s use of force against him. And even if the jury thinks he did, it still has to acquit him unless it finds he had some other lesser means of extricating himself from danger posed by Trayvon’s fracturing his nose and banging his head into cement.

Witness 6 says TM was on top and GZ was trying to get up and couldn’t. GZ says every time he tried to sit up and get out from under TM, TM would slam his head back down. He has injuries, they don’t have to be life-threatening. What reasonable person wouldn’t fear serious bodily injury if unable to stop the attack? What other means did he have at his disposal – regardless of whether TM saw his gun and was reaching for it?

Keep in mind, GZ’s belief that TM had seen his gun and was reaching for it doesn’t have to be real; it just has to be reasonable and he really had to have believed it.

He had no way out from under TM. If he reasonably feared serious bodily injury or death, whether the aggressor or not at that point, he’s justified in using lethal force.

You are using a microscope to critique points I doubt will make a difference in terms of disproving his defense. Just look though the big lens and see the whole picture. I think it’s right in front of you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:49 pm 
ADMIN

An interesting post by Sundance at CTH... stuff he has relayed before but laid out clearly here.

I think it is important to keep pushing back on the Scheme Team narrative, in particular the fantasy notion that there is a "Martin Family"... there is not such thing!! Certainly the fund raising touring party of Tracy, Sabrina and Jahvaris Martin (Mom Dad and big brother) is fictional... (Mom and Jaharvis are Fultons and not Martins at all)

Quote:
sundance says:
January 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’ll reply here. Trayvon was NOT living with his mom. This is a fact. Nor was he living with his father, Tracy. Again, this is a fact.

The truth about why Trayvon was not living with either Sybrina or Tracy will come forth, and as with the DeeDee narrative, I stand behind what I said about the living arrangements.

Trayvon was not living with his mom, because during interactions with M-DSPD it was determined the “best” place for him to be was with his uncle “Stephen”, who was home 24/7 and able to monitor 100%. The monitoring of Trayvon was needed because of the consequences to his behavior. The behavior will come out in the discovery.

I believe the long post about Trayvon records (GZ site) is because Mark O’Mara, through Don West, is already familiar with the same information. The exact details of that will come out soon enough. The question is “who will show it first”?

....Snip.....

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... ent-295223

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm 

TalkLeft wrote:
Try to think of it from the perspective of: The state presents its case first. What evidence -- testimony and exhibits -- will it present to show murder or manslaughter? Assuming it makes a sufficient case -- then the defense presents its evidence of self-defense. What does the state have to refute his theory that amounts to proof beyond a reasonable doubt his self-defense claim is not valid?

There's a lot of great stuff there, but I'm not sure about this last paragraph.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, in the immunity hearing, the prosecution/defense roles are essentially reversed with respect to burden of proof, and the legal standard is lessened to a mere preponderance.

In other words: in the immunity hearing, the defense bears the burden to prove, with a preponderance of the evidence, that the defendant acted in self-defense. If, in the judge's opinion, the defense fails to meet the preponderance-of-the-evidence standard, the defendant is not granted immunity, and the case proceeds to trial, with the normal burden-of-proof roles and standard of evidence restored.

Why I take issue with the quote is that the prosecution does *not* have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not legally act in self-defense; but rather must only prove with a preponderance of the evidence (with the defense bearing the burden of proof, at that).

(I could be wrong on the burden of proof. I'm basing that on self-defense being an affirmative defense, but I'm not sure how that applies specifically under the relevant Florida statutes.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm 
ADMIN

I changed the quote author.. it was me quoting "TalkLeft" (Jeralyn Merritt)

As I understand it... in that quote she is talking about the Trial Proper (if it happens) and not the Immunity Hearing.

IANAL... Not even close :24
But from what I have read.. yes... at the Immunity hearing the burden is on the Defence to present a case... in this case MOM has said that will be (simple) self defence. The prosecution rebuts that. The standard is "Predominance of evidence" and not Beyond reasonable doubt... but I take that to mean the Defence have to convince the Judge by the predominance of the evidence?

I can not supply links... but I clearly recall MOM in several interviews saying that at the Immunity Hearing his task will be easier because the there is a lower standard of proof (Predominance of evidence), and so I feel confident that it is the case that the Defence only have to convince the judge to that standard.

I take your point it would be different if the Prosecution only had to rebut to that standard.

I don't know what the answer is really.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:34 pm 

I'm assuming that the affirmative self-defense defense goes out the window if the defense loses an immunity hearing, except for one specific statute: that of Zimmerman as initial aggressor, but who subsequently relented and tried to end/leave the altercation. Under such scenario, he still has a legal right to self-defense, but is *not* immune from criminal/civil action.

In all other cases, if the defense loses the self-defense immunity hearing, I assume that defense is not available at trial. In that circumstance, the defense is left with preventing the prosecution from proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt. In that case, self-defense would not be available as an *affirmative* defense, but *would* still be available to contribute reasonable doubt to the prosecution's allegations. So, in that sense, the prosecution *would* have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense.

So I suppose I just talked myself into understanding the original quote. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
ADMIN

It would make our lives easier if the case was dismissed, or the Immunity Hearing succeeded, or a appeal succeeded if that hearing failed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 pm 

Rumpole: I'd read this at Florida defense attorney Jon Gutmacher's blog, it's apparent that plenty of Florida lawyers share the same point of view.

My first comment is: Angela Corey, who is the State Attorney in Duval County, and prosecuting the case -- needs to be voted out. The more evidence that comes out -- the more it is clear there is no evidence that justified an arrest. Ms. Corey simply ignored the "immunity" section of law for political expedience. All gun owners should take careful note -- that what has happened here so far -- is a travesty of justice. All gun owners need to remember -- next election -- those politicians who will throw them to the wolves at the slightest chance! Because -- this can happen to anyone! Ms. Corey has now, and in the past, relegated the word "immunity" into a meaningless word. To her, it obviously has little meaning -- other than her political ambitions -- forcing a man who CLEARLY fell within the protection of the law into jail, and into a situation which the law was meant to protect.

Why?

Because if you take the time to read, view, and listen to the evidence that's been placed online -- Zimmerman has passed voice stress tests given by the police, he's been consistent in all his answers time-and-time again, his injuries are consistent with being a "victim" -- not an "aggressor", his story is too complicated to be made up on the spot. In fact, everything about the case -- the voice stress; the video re-enactments, his original statements -- everything I've seen says -- there was NEVER any probable cause to arrest him -- lest prosecute him. Sanford Police stand by their original decision -- because they were right! I predict -- the case will be dismissed at a proper motion at some time in the future -- and if not -- that decision will be reversed on appeal.

Jon H. Gutmacher is a criminal defense attorney, NRA certified firearms instructor, and noted author/columnist with over thirty years of criminal trial experience who is also considered the premier legal authority on Florida gun laws and self defense issues, as well as an authority on Federal firearm and weapon laws, and BATF regulatory issues. He actively practices criminal law in the Orlando/Central Florida, area, as well as handling BATF licensing and regulatory issues for FFLs across the State. He is a former FFL, former felony prosecutor and police legal advisor who has been featured on national radio and television shows including Nightline. He is also an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, Refuse to be a Victim Instructor, and his book, "Florida Firearms - Law, Use & Ownership" is hailed by many as the "bible" on Florida and Federal firearms, weapons, and self defense laws.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks CRG
It's frustrating that despite such opinions from reputable sources... this farce continues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 am 
ADMIN

Daily Daft Posts From Justarse Quest

Even though some concede that Bernie has shown NO EVIDENCE.. they still maintain that Zimmerman is guilty?

They have faith? Is this a Quest for justice, or a Religion and a Quest for The Holy Grail :31

This is Malicious Wilful Ignorance?

BBM
Teeto wrote:
I agree 100% with you Angie, but playing Devil's Advocate - according to George, he was walking back to his truck when he was confronted by Trayvon - he had given up, wasn't looking for him any longer - was strictly thinking of getting back to his truck to meet up with LE. Just walking in the rain on a dark night, doing nothing wrong, when out of no where Trayvon just pounced out at him. I don't believe one word of this but this is what O'Smeara is going to tell the jury.

What is the prosecution going to tell the jurors that will make them not believe that? This is why I can't help but believe that the prosecution has more - there is something we haven't seen yet....whether it is the calculations of the time it takes to walk/run from one point to the next or something else that will tie this all up for the prosecution. There's the debris field; there's the witness who saw running - This is the part that is driving me nuts - how are they going to put this all together? OR, maybe the prosecution doesn't care that Trayvon confronted GZ - since by that point, Trayvon had good reason to be frightened out of his mind when he realizes that GZ has exited his truck and is now looking for him, so he decides to stand his ground.

Please stick broadly to GZ case in this thread.

To discuss JQ, go to
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63&p=20066#p20066

(More Quotes from Traybots at link - Teeto "pissed off")

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:43 am 

Rumpole wrote:
Teeto wrote:
...maybe the prosecution doesn't care that Trayvon confronted GZ - since by that point, Trayvon had good reason to be frightened out of his mind when he realizes that GZ has exited his truck and is now looking for him, so he decides to stand his ground.

I don't think Teeto understands the statutory meaning of "stand your ground." Perhaps, at some point prior to the one-year anniversary of the incident, these folks will actually read the statutes. To that end, let's have a look, shall we?

776.012 - Use of force in defense of a person wrote:
A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

776.013 applies to home invasions; so we ignore it here. So let's move on to the money quote:

Quote:
a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if...He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;

Conditions under which the use of deadly force is legally justified:

1. A person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death to himself or another
2. A person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent great bodily harm to himself or another
3. To prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony

It is important here to note that the "stand your ground" clause ("and does not have a duty to retreat") applies explicitly to the use of lethal force in self-defense. Contrast these two clauses:

Quote:
Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when...

...and...
Quote:
However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if...

Back to Teeto:

Teeto wrote:
...Trayvon had good reason to be frightened out of his mind when he realizes that GZ has exited his truck and is now looking for him...

There isn't an honest police department, prosecutor, judge, or jury that would say that Zimmerman exiting his truck and "looking for" Martin would result in Martin *reasonably* believing that Zimmerman's actions constituted imminent death or great bodily harm to, or the imminent commission of a forcible felony against, Martin.

Zimmerman getting out of his truck and "looking for" Martin simply does not meet the legal standard necessary to justify the forcible felony that Martin committed against Zimmerman.

Note, this would be a good time to bring up the statutory definition of "forcible felony":

776.08 Forcible felony wrote:
“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

And here is the statutory definition of "aggravated battery":

784.045 Aggravated battery wrote:
(1)(a) A person commits aggravated battery who, in committing battery:
1. Intentionally or knowingly causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement; or
2. Uses a deadly weapon.
(b) A person commits aggravated battery if the person who was the victim of the battery was pregnant at the time of the offense and the offender knew or should have known that the victim was pregnant.

And the statutory definition of "battery":

784.03 Battery; felony battery wrote:
(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:
1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or
2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(2) A person who has one prior conviction for battery, aggravated battery, or felony battery and who commits any second or subsequent battery commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. For purposes of this subsection, “conviction” means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or a trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld or a plea of nolo contendere is entered.

So, Cliff's notes version: if you strike someone, you have committed battery. If you strike someone with the intent to cause great bodily harm, you have committed felony aggravated battery.

A reasonable person would conclude that the beating Martin administered to Zimmerman that night constituted the latter: felony aggravated battery.

Back to Teeto:

Teeto wrote:
...maybe the prosecution doesn't care that Trayvon confronted GZ...

But the prosecution very much *should* care whether or not Martin was the initial aggressor. Why? Roll tape on the statutes:

776.041 Use of force by aggressor wrote:
The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or
(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:
(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

Under the assumption that Martin was the initial aggressor, Martin cannot claim to have "stood his ground" - i.e. used lethal force in lieu of retreating - unless one of the following conditions apply:

1. In response to Martin's provocation, Zimmerman used such force against Martin that Martin reasonably believed he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, AND:
2. Martin exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of deadly force; OR
3. Martin withdrew in good faith from physical contact, and indicated clearly that he desired to withdraw and terminate the use of force

In order to prove the first condition, the prosecution would have to prove that Zimmerman used sufficient force against Martin that Martin would have reasonably believed he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. Unfortunately for the prosecution, Martin evinced absolutely no signs whatsoever that Zimmerman so much as *touched* Martin.

In order to prove the second condition, the prosecution would have to prove that Martin made a good-faith effort to withdraw from physical contact and to terminate the use of force. Unfortunately for the prosecution, at least one witness testified that, with Zimmerman on the ground and screaming for help, Martin continued to beat Zimmerman, even after the witness told him to stop. Not only did Martin not make any effort to withdraw from the conflict, but he defiantly *continued* the conflict, even in the presence of eye-witnesses.

The bottom line is this: had the police arrived 90 seconds earlier, Martin would be alive, and would have been arrested for felony aggravated battery against Zimmerman. And Martin would have absolutely no grounds to claim that his use of force, including lethal force, was justified as self-defense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
ADMIN

Wow Chip... Thank you.

I know that bringing together a comprehensive post like that takes some time and effort.

It is "Post of the Day" clearly... but I won't insult you with a silly smiley Icon

And.... it certainly helps clarify things for me.

I am a bit lazy (jaded after 3 years researching detail on the Casey Anthony case)... I know in my mind what is what.. but do not take the time and effort to research and back it up.

(I will expand on my comments regarding Teeto in the other thread)
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63&p=20066#p20072

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Wow Chip... Thank you.

I know that bringing together a comprehensive post like that takes some time and effort.

Honestly, with the discussion of the FL self-defense statutes, we've gone over them so much on CTH that the part that took the most time and effort was formatting the response to post here at RT. (Apparently, this forum's post editor doesn't like the tab-spacing in the statute text. I kept getting SQL errors when trying to post. :) )

The statutes are so easy to find, to read, and to understand that, at this point, I must conclude that Martin supporters are willfully ignorant of their content and meaning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 pm 
ADMIN

Yes... sorry about formatting issues and the dreaded "SQL error" message. It is a cross we have to bear with phpBB platform :97
As you note..... Statute Text gives problems... so to do the characters (# @) in tweets.

That is part of what I meant.... I know how long it takes to format even if a post is largely copy/paste, and beyond that you obviously had to arrange it within a logical stream.

It is good to lay out the statutes and the reasoning for our own sake, but of course, it has little to no effect on people entrenched in a false belief as a matter of "faith". No amount of evidence or details of the actual applicable laws will sway them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
ADMIN

Just as an aside....

It is nice to see that Teeto reads every public word I write (Shame she misses out on the juicy stuff in the other thread) :24

But, sadly like most Traybots.. comprehending what she reads remains a bridge too far :12

Teeto wrote:
...... SNIP....... (BBM)
So, to have someone post "best comment of the day" when I was pointing out a part of the case that I felt needed special attention was insulting and purposely done to get my goat and give the appearance to my colleagues that I was waivering in my beliefs of the strength of the case - it has not gone unnoticed that this person refuses to take a stand and explain what his position is, and it has not gone unnoticed that the comments that are made are ones that could be interpreted to be in support of GZ. So, I don't want this person's "best comment of the day" until this person has the balls to sit on one side of the fence or the other. I dislike luke warm.
...... SNIP.......

Teeto.... it's not "best comment of the day".... it's "Daily Daft Post from Justarse Quest" and I do concede you win hands down every day... I am just trying to give the worker cretins a break.... taking a leaf out of your hero's book and "Sharing the DAFT around" :31

"it has not gone unnoticed that this person refuses to take a stand and explain what his position is"

By "it has not gone unnoticed" I assume in a round about way you mean "I notice" :31

Torturing the English language blows your cover when it comes to pretending legal qualifications... surely literacy skills (and simple logic and common sense) would be of a higher standard?

If you have missed what my position on this case is then you simply lack basic English comprehension skills... I state it clearly and unequivocally every day... scroll back... or ask someone with reading ability to read for you and tell you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 pm 

Teeto wrote:
So, to have someone post "best comment of the day" when I was pointing out a part of the case that I felt needed special attention was insulting

Ummmm. Wasn't she just pointing out that 11 months later she still doesn't have a clue to the case the Prosecution intends to present and how they will circumvent some of the obstacles in their way to proving their case beyond reasonable doubt?

Didn't Chip go over this line by line to explain it?

The whole case needs "special attention" because so far, even Bernie de la Rionda was willing to admit, in open court no less, that Martin struck Zimmerman. No one on the State's side will go so far as to started the physical altercation and they can't say that Zimmerman ever struck Martin. Their "star" witness has Martin approaching Zimmerman at the "T" intersection to ask why he is following him some 4 minutes after he disappeared off the radar and being by his father's house.

Witnesses.
Injuries.
DNA.

The only sad thing is that she still hasn't figured that out yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 am 
ADMIN

Today….. “I believe…….”

You would think that since they post with somebody who “believes” that they can hear 4 accomplices and a cockatoo, the posters at JQ might realise that what they “believe” counts for nought if it is based on nothing more than delusion and hope.

They often state what they “believe” as if it were then fact.

See things as fact because they "believe" it, rather than looking at facts before deciding what to believe.

just-for-all wrote:
This is my rant for the day!

I believe AMMO was at the bank at 6:30Ish
I believe George was not on his way to Target period
I believe John stepped outside and saw more than he is saying
I believe AMMO spoke to John
I believe Joe, John, and Jeremy know what really happened out there

Joe snapping pictures of Z's head speaks volumes, it is not a normal in the moment human response. In my opinion these witnesses heard their wannabe cop, NW self appointed captain exchanging words with a teen and they went to check it out. They were all likely aware of the recent break ins and they thought George (and who ever he was with) caught the bad guy but it was someone else, Trayvon Martin.

What empowered Joe to run into gun fire? What empowered him to start taking photo proof of injuries (little boo boos) of the shooter? Didn't Jeremy say they thought it was more than two voices at one point?

I also believe the state will have some surprises for trial, just like Peter Pan. The state is busy handling their business, they have the resources of the FBI. I believe they have put together to real story of what took place and will deliver it coherently in the courtroom.

There will be a trial, Z Has no way out, it is not a SYG case and he lost his right to self defense when he left his vehicle (chasing) after loading his weapon.

Please stick broadly to GZ case in this thread.

To discuss JQ, go to
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63&p=20103#p20103

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 am 

JQ isn't the only place to find Daft Posts from Trayvon cultists.

Quote:
…And, the blood evidence is inexplicable. Except that GZ has been found to have animal blood on his clothing. So, maybe that’s where all that blood came from, because it sure didn’t come from any beating he got at Trayvon’s hands. It even looks like it’s too much to come from those tiny capillary wounds that had already begun to heal.
Maybe John brought the blood out and poured it on GZ for the picture? In any event, the presence of animal blood on GZ adds yet another reason why GZ would not want to go to the ER. As if we don’t have enough reasons already, eh?

http://frederickleatherman.com/2013/01/ ... ment-60704

But there's still hope. A small spark of rational thought.

Quote:
@Lonnie –

Zimmerman’s jacket is “DM-19.”

Stain “Z” (and ONLY stain “Z”) is noted this way:

“limited DNA results; not interpretable; male present; possible non-human DNA present.”

Let’s not exaggerate this as, ”covered in animal blood.”

Could have picked up a pet.

Could have dribbled a juicy rare hamburger on himself.

Could be blood or other DNA from a supermarket packet.

Could have swatted a mosquito.

The jacket photocopies do not identify the stain “Z” with its location.

Let’s not make this more than what it is: ONE stain with so little DNA that they can’t interpret it – but “possible non-human.”
If he were covered in this blood, obviously there would be enough to test.
There wasn’t.

http://frederickleatherman.com/2013/01/ ... ment-60968

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 am 

chipbennett wrote:
I'm assuming that the affirmative self-defense defense goes out the window if the defense loses an immunity hearing, except for one specific statute: that of Zimmerman as initial aggressor, but who subsequently relented and tried to end/leave the altercation. Under such scenario, he still has a legal right to self-defense, but is *not* immune from criminal/civil action.

In all other cases, if the defense loses the self-defense immunity hearing, I assume that defense is not available at trial. In that circumstance, the defense is left with preventing the prosecution from proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt. In that case, self-defense would not be available as an *affirmative* defense, but *would* still be available to contribute reasonable doubt to the prosecution's allegations. So, in that sense, the prosecution *would* have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense.

So I suppose I just talked myself into understanding the original quote. :)

Just a couple of corrections (Though I'm just waking up so if I misunderstood what you wrote and am therefore correcting needlessly, disregard this hehe.)

At trial, the State is required to disprove self defense beyond a reasonable doubt; losing at the immunity hearing doesn't change that.

The Defense can still bring up self defense and SYG, and it's the State's job to disprove it. It's included in the jury instructions, that "If there is any reasonable doubt if deadly force was justified, then you must judge the defendant not guilty."

Some case law too:

Montijo v. State(2011)

When a defendant claims self-defense, the State maintains the burden of proving the defendant committed the crime and did not act in self-defense. See id.; Mosansky v. State, 33 So. 3d 756, 758 (Fla. 1st DCA 2010). The burden never shifts to the defendant to prove self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt. Rather, he must simply present enough evidence to support giving the instruction.

From Stieh v. State(2011):

It was the State's burden to overcome Stieh's theory of self-defense and prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Stieh was not acting lawfully when he stabbed the victim. See Behanna, 985 So. 2d at 555. As noted by this court in Jenkins, HN7"self-defense cases are intensely fact-specific." 942 So. 2d at 916. But where the evidence " 'leaves room for two or more inferences of fact, at least one of which is consistent with the defendant's hypothesis of innocence, [it] is not legally sufficient to make a case for the jury.' " Fowler, 921 So. 2d at 712 (quoting Fowler v. State, 492 So. 2d 1344, 1348 (Fla. 1st DCA 1986)).

(Those two I picked up from Jeralyn at Talkleft).

Then, doing some research of my own springboarding from those cases led me to Fowler vs. State, and that one makes it clear just how strong the burden of proof is on the prosecution. Fowler says basically that if the evidence does not flat out disprove the Defense's claim of innocence, that the Defendant has to be believed no matter how guilty the evidence makes him look, and that in that situation the case should not even make it to a jury.

So, with the Defense claiming that George was on the ground, with Trayvon on top of him, with George taking injury until he feared for his life and had to shoot...and so far there being absolutely no evidence to refute that, much less beyond a reasonable doubt, I don't see how this case could even reach a jury.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am 

Quote:
...it is not a SYG case and he lost his right to self defense when he left his vehicle (chasing) after loading his weapon.

I nominate this line, itself, as the daft post of the day.

Quote:
...it is not a SYG case...

True, indeed. A decision to retreat requires the opportunity to retreat. SYG does not apply when the assailant has the victim pinned to the ground, actively preventing the victim from getting up and attempting to escape. This is a simple, straight-forward, self-defense case.

Quote:
...and he lost his right to self defense when he left his vehicle (chasing)...

First: getting out of one's vehicle is not an inherently illegal act.

Second, mere pursuit of someone is not an inherently illegal act.

Third, even actual pursuit does not meet the statutory standard of causing reasonable fear of imminent risk to life or bodily harm that might otherwise justify Martin's use of force against Zimmerman. If Martin were alive, and told police that he attacked Zimmerman out of fear, because Zimmerman was "chasing" him, Martin would have been arrested for felony aggravated battery.

Fourth, the State is already on record, in court, stating that they do not have any evidence to refute Zimmerman's testimony that he was attempting only to maintain visual contact with Martin, and after the NEN operator said, "we don't actually need you to [follow Martin]", Zimmerman went far enough to see a street sign, and then turned and headed back to his car.

Quote:
...after loading his weapon...

Zimmerman was a legal concealed-carry permit holder, and was legally justified to carry a loaded weapon. Legally concealed-carrying a loaded firearm does not deprive one of the statutory right to self-defense, including the statutory right to use lethal force in self-defense.

Also: if this quote is implying that Zimmerman can be heard loading his weapon on the NEN call, then we're dealing with someone completely ignorant of firearms, and the load capacity of most semi-automatic pistols. Zimmerman's firearm had a 7-round magazine, and he was carrying in a standard, 7+1 load out, meaning that he loaded 7 rounds in the magazine, put the magazine in the gun, loaded a round in the chamber (leaving 6 in the magazine), removed the magazine, placed an additional round in the magazine (for a total of 7 rounds in the magazine), and then re-inserted the magazine. Thus, Zimmerman had 7 rounds in the magazine, and 1 round in the chamber.

Police reports clearly indicate that, at the scene, one discharged round was found at the scene, and that the gun had 1 round in the chamber, and six rounds in the magazine. Thus, all rounds were accounted for.

Why is this important? Well, for the idiots who claim that they hear Zimmerman rack the slide of his gun on the NEN call, it pretty much proves their ignorance of firearms. If Zimmerman had racked his slide, the action would have *ejected the round in the chamber*. (That's why real gun owners in the real world don't go around racking their slides like Vin Diesel in some Hollywood shoot-out movie.)

Thus, instead of 8 rounds total in the gun (1 in the chamber, 7 in the magazine), he would have been left with only 7 rounds (1 in the chamber, 6 in the magazine). Thus, in order for police to have documented 6 rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber, and one spent round recovered, Zimmerman would have had to *reload the ejected round back into the magazine*. That would have required two hands - recover ejected round, remove magazine, hold magazine with one hand while inserting the round with the other, re-insert magazine - all while holding his cell phone, while talking to the NEN operator. And he would have had to do so without the sound of any of that activity being captured on the NEN call recording.

These ignorant fools propose a physical impossibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm 

Not to mention that you prep your weapon and holster it before leaving. Having to stop and do that in a potentially dangerous situation could cost you your life.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 51  Next