It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am 

She clearly thinks much better of Piers than I do:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 am 

It's Adam Corolla, so all of the language and content warnings apply.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am 

mung wrote:
I think we are being a little hard on Sabrina. I have realized that when she said that SYG is the reason Trayvon got killed she is totally right. Remember that they still think Trayvon had the right to stand his ground by beating George. So if there was no SYG, maybe Trayvon would have run home instead of confronting George. That is why she wants to change the law.

"...Trayvon had the "right" to backtrack 350+ feet to find a better "ground" he could "stand" before initiating commencing his "whoop azz."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:49 am 

So simple, so true, so far beyond the comprehension of Trayborg™:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:00 pm 

GlennGarvin wrote:
Zimmerman Trial: Trayvon Martin was not Emmett Till

Hard cases make bad law and even worse fodder for the chattering classes. Most of the so-called lessons of George Zimmerman’s acquittal on charges of murdering Trayvon Martin amount to educational malpractice.

• There is no war on black men, at least not by white men. Last year, the Scripps-Howard News Service studied half a million homicide reports and found that killings of black victims by white attackers have actually dropped over the past 30 years, from 4,745 during the 1980s to 4,380 during the first decade of the 2000s. There were nearly twice as many white victims killed by black assailants: 8,503 in the 1980s, and 8,530 in the 2000s.

• Why isn’t Stevie Wonder boycotting California? Wonder says he won’t play in Florida until it “abolishes” its stand-your-ground law. But California, the state where he lives, also allows a stand-your-ground defense in murder trials.

Read more at The Miami Herald.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm 

kbp wrote:
"...Trayvon had the "right" to backtrack 350+ feet to find a better "ground" he could "stand" before initiating commencing his "whoop azz."

Yup! I am so so so anticipating that vile woman being dropped by those who now promote her. Even more so, I'm looking forward to her being confronted with her schemes, her lies, her money-grubbing, and general disservice to all youth, particularly black youth, most especially her own son.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 pm 

This has been my experience in Florida, and the experience of all I know of all races:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:17 pm 

flgirl543 wrote:
Stand Your Ground law 'assisted' in Trayvon's death, his mother says

Hypothetical:

If George wasn't able to withdraw his gun, and Trayvon continued to smash his head to a pulp and killed him, and everything else was the same - witnesses, 911 calls, police soon arriving on the scene -- Trayvon would have declared SYG as his defense.

And would have been acquitted!

-Dashiell Hammett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 pm 

Hi, jayjerome! :28

You may be right and there are certainly some who believe that even now (against all evidence!) but I'm not so sure it would be so easy. If all else was the same, as you suggest, Jon came out and yelled to stop, notified them he was calling 911, etc., etc., the state would have had a much, much better case against TM™ than they even dreamed they had against GZ, imo. The state flipping the evidence around, including with at least one witness sort of seeing TM™ running back to the T to attack GZ, would have at least made it a very different trial, imo.

TM™'s defense may have been able to raise reasonable doubt, but then again, maybe not, kwim? Also consider that TM™'s texts about mounting and bleeding (breeding), hitting in the nose, etc. may very well have been admitted because the acts were not just similar, they were almost identical!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm 

flgirl543 wrote:
Stand Your Ground law 'assisted' in Trayvon's death, his mother says

jayjerome wrote:
Hypothetical:

If George wasn't able to withdraw his gun, and Trayvon continued to smash his head to a pulp and killed him, and everything else was the same - witnesses, 911 calls, police soon arriving on the scene -- Trayvon would have declared SYG as his defense.

The problem is in reality, if you keep assaulting someone after they stop fighting back then you become the aggressor, if the police would have gotten there before the shot, Trayvon would have been guilty of felony assault and battery and SYG would have never helped.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:45 pm 

I have to agree, mung. If he was successful in claiming "provocation" - a big if imo - it would be mitigation, I'd think, not a defense. But what do I know? I don't have my own show on MSNBC. :Gslap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm 

jayjerome wrote:
Hypothetical:

Nope. Trayvon would be doing life in prison for murder. Suspicious doper thug with burglary record attacks and murders neighborhood watchman. Probably would have eventually been shanked in the joint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm 

Quote:

RE: John Galt on my Hypothetical that TM gets acquitted for killing GZ:

Let me disagree with your disagree-al that TM gets sent up for the head smash killing.. :roll

I've been going through, one by one, the 235 Florida cases where SYG was employed as a defense for justifiable homicide since 2005. They're listed here at a database prepared by the Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/stand-your-ground-law/data

An amazing amount of info at the site, including background descriptions of each
case, by race, with breakdowns by weapons used, lethal or non lethal outcome, dismissed or charged, etc. The statistical breakdowns are VERY interesting - lots of fodder to dispel false charges made about the SYG law (I'll post some observations on the statistics later).

As to my hypothetical about Trayvon killing George and successfully evoking SYG, keep the following in mind: of the 18 times SYG was evoked in Florida for defendants who didn't wield any weapon but fists, only one went to jail (a husky male, claiming his wife attacked him with a knife, he beat her to death, and was found guilty of murder-2). Four other non-weapon cases were plea bargained (on their face, not really SYG); the rest were either dismissed or defendants granted immunity.

Under the hypothetical it's unlikely Trayvon would be charged for defending himself against a victim armed with a gun. His story (with lawyer input) would be classic SYG: returning from the 7/11 store with candy & drink he was accosted in the dark by GZ, who made racial slurs, then took a swing at him. TM blocked the punch and threw one of his own, then wrestled GZ to the ground. Whereupon GZ threatened to kill him, showing his gun. Afraid for his life, TM began MMA-ing GZs face and head. Witness Good showed up, seeing that, but didn't come to his aid, instead quickly leaving to dial 911. At that point, GZ reached for his gun. Seeing it, now in fear of his life, TM crushed GZs against concrete and killed him.

TM couldn't retreat: GZ would have shot him. TM was there legally, and 'reasonably; believed his life was in danger. This sounds like a clear-cut boiler-plate reading of SYG language, right out of the statute. GZs call to report suspicious behavior, and his grumblings about punks always getting away now lends credence to TMs assertion he was accosted. The ear-witness shouts for help? Trayvon insists it was him - Good was mistaken; other ear-witnesses were right. Reasonable doubt up the zing zang. TM goes free. Watermelon head stays out of Florida. Jessee Jackson spends his time with his tailor, getting fitted for a new $1,000 suit for TV interviews. Trayvon's father high-fives TM and gives him $50 spending money for grass. TMs mother sends him an additional $100, proud her 'chile' is now a real man, and shunts him to some other relative. Benjamin Crump sues the Home Owners Assoc, claiming mental distress and endangering the life of a teenager, but for a lot smaller settlement. Trayvon gets stoned for a month. Out of money, he burglarizes the apartment of a black neighbor at 2am. The alarm sounds and the neighbor awakens and grabs his gun. Trayvon threatens him with the B&E screwdriver he's carrying. The homeowner, an off-duty security guard with a firearm license, shoots him dead.

SYG once again in the news, but only a back-page story:

Trayvon Martin (black male, age 18), former Stand Your Ground beneficiary, was shot to death while in the commission of a home invasion robbery, by Adrian Carey (black male, age 42), who was not charged by the State Attorney, per provisions of the Stand Your Ground law. The victims parents were not available for comment. But Shellie Zimmerman, wife of George Zimmerman, the man Trayvon Martin claimed he killed in self-defense, who was reached by phone, said the following: "Georgie, in Heaven, can rest more easily now that God has righted the scales of Justice." :64

-Dashiell Hammett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 pm 

Quote:
Under the hypothetical it's unlikely Trayvon would be charged for defending himself against a victim armed with a gun. His story (with lawyer input) would be classic SYG: returning from the 7/11 store with candy & drink he was accosted in the dark by GZ, who made racial slurs, then took a swing at him. TM blocked the punch and threw one of his own, then wrestled GZ to the ground. Whereupon GZ threatened to kill him, showing his gun.

The problem with that is (1) Trayvon has a record of being a street fighting thug, which would have been introduced at trial. (2) There was a witness that identified Trayvon as on top beating Zimmerman even after the witness told him to stop (3) the 45 seconds of screaming on the 911 call and the complete absence of injuries to Trayvon refute self-defense (4) there would be no blacks on the jury if the jury pool was fairly selected from an 11% black population. (5) If Zimmerman hadn't shot Trayvon, his gun would have been holstered, unfired and concealed. (6) Rachel Jeantel testified that Trayvon was the one making racial slurs. (7) The cops would have grilled the young thug as to why he continued beating Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk and he would have said something like "I wanted to see dat creepy azz cracka breed more." Angela Corey would have added another notch to her 98% conviction rate, and sent the young thug off with a life sentence to test his mettle in combat with the Aryan Nation and Mexican Mafia.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm 

Positively clear who put the "whoop azz" on who!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks to CTH......

Robert Zimmerman Jr on Armed American Radio July 28 2013

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:10 pm 

I hope somebody soon checks into and verifies what D-Man is saying: http://diwataman.wordpress.com/2013/07/ ... ment-17079

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm 

I think the defense timeline is likely to be correct.

http://gzdocs.com/documents/opening_gra ... meline.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks kbp

Essentially Dman is saying there seems to be a discrepancy in times shown by T-Mobile phone records, and times listed by LE call records.
1:30 mins Time difference....
Quote:
By this account then Rachel would have been connected with Trayvons phone for approximately 18 seconds after the gun shot. George would have been connected with the SCSO as his hands and phone were in the air. There was no audio from the SCSO 7:20:28 call released to the public.

I assume that this is something that could be checked via PING LOGS... so where are they?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next