It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 am 

Maybe calling it blood money helps save the conscience.

Carmelita, I responded to you again the other day but apparently yet again I did not read that someone posted during my typing so I lost the post. Sorry about that. I'll never get used to that feature and I've lost more posts than I can count.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:28 am 
ADMIN

I dont want to seem too hard, but......

Though I really can sympathize. I have been through close family members dying. Most people do. One instance was quite similar when Wife's sister-in-law died young (leaving 3 small kids). Before marrying my wife's brother she was a friend of mine at school. Family scenes much like Kim Martin describes. No doubt lots of other families go through the same, regardless of CAUSE of death. I can not see how this has bearing on OP's sentence.

ETA, Packy... I am seeing your post ahead of mine. All you need do is click "submit" again :cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 am 

I hear you Rumpole but I don't pay attention and click and go so I miss the message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:55 am 
ADMIN

Nel is a jerk. Wants to knock off for day, but has nearly finished with witness? This is some daft tactic. Roux said he has 2 quick questions, and not cross examination. Guess what Nel... in some courts they actually work LATE, and in this case just using up normal time would have done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 am 
ADMIN

Big "bombshell" supposed to be Reeva saying to cousin that she was happy (with Oscar) but... "we have to talk" so what??? That is hearsay and could mean ANYTHING.. most likely NOTHING!!

This is in same vain as Nel and his imaginary DV in (4) text messages.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:53 am 

Hi Packy, I see your post and the same thing has happened to me but I just hit submit again (didn't realize what was happening though :roll )

And Rumpole I agree that Nel is an ass. In my opinion he has lost sight of justice and is warped by his demand that the facts twist themselves to fit his theories. He is far more an interrogator than a examiner. He has all the answers if the folks on the stand would just say what Nel wants them to say he would have a better day.

The "blood money" is really bizarre, I simply don't know how to intellectually process how monthly payments are acceptable but a lump sum payment is blood money. I will keep my personal opinion or read of June Steemkamp to myself out of respect for her loss.

Sam Taylor imo is an opportunistic disgusting human being. She stated she has "scars" from Oscar's pinching and biting her. I find her stories of Oscar's "abuse" only self serving. Does she have a job or is she trying to make a career out of saying nasty things about Oscar?

On the bright side of things a pal sent me a link to an interesting chat.

Chris Greenland and Judge Grant are appalled at the ignorant rude and "fringe" posters who are calling Judge Masipa stupid and/or corrupt.

http://oscartrial.dstv.com/video/653784/category/0

Kudos to Greenland and Grant for at least having the nuggets to try and school the frenzied blinded by hate, ignoramuses of the social media mob. First Nel let them down, now their Great Hope, Greenland and Grant have turned their backs on the ridiculous antics of the hate before truth crowd.

Some of what I read is so downright unbalanced that I think the folks posting it must have mental disorders (diagnosed or not).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am 

Advice to Nel it is a poor decision to direct exasperation at the judge. Masipa holds all the keys and other judges feel that she deserves respect simply because of her position as judge. There is a circle of robes and they will not look kindly at one of their own being openly disrespected in court.

Also it seems that Nel is very apt for trying to find an aspect which is outside of what the witness is testifying about and then try to make the witness appear ignorant by only exploring the aspect which does not apply to the framework of the testimony that is being applied.

Good thing that Masipa is a learned judge and not an internet know-it-all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
And... statement from Steenkamps confirms my (now) dislike of them
In financial difficulty after Reeva killed??? Why? Were they living off her earnings? She was only a wannabe celebrity.. any earning could have vanished in a flash. One bad TV appearance could see her out of favour.
Seems to me Oscar was MORE than compassionate in offering them money.. regular and lump sum. The fact that it was HE wo wanted it kept confidential indicate he was not being self-serving.
They took the damned money.. now they say its "blood money? Give me a break.

OP should think himself very lucky he does not have Steenkamps as in-laws.

I have actually always had a positive view of the Steenkamps, particularly Mrs. Steenkamp. She has always been even, calm and never seems vengeful. I am only disappointed that in the end she doesn't believe Oscar's story and doesn't agree with the verdict. I am disappointed FOR her, not in her. I think it was perfectly appropriate that they received support from Oscar. It probably was some measure of relief for both parties. It was made clear from the beginning that they struggled financially and that Reeva provided some financial support to them prior to her death. It was a bit unfair to have this come out in court without warning them, which perhaps forced or encouraged the over dramatic 'blood money' statements. They should have had some warning or some input over the sudden use of a private agreement as mitigation for the man that ended their daughter's life. That said, I do believe the gesture of support was genuine and came from a place of sorrow and regret and empathy. So I'm glad he did it, and glad they accepted. Just sorry it ended somewhat badly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm 
ADMIN

Money that Oscar gave in confidence,and Steenkamps accepted, is now "blood money" (money derived from Reeva's death). Yet at same time their lawyer announces "deals". We assume paid interviews... a book perhaps? Anybody spot the flaw in THAT logic?

I know it was indicated early on that Sreenkamps depended on financial support from Reeva. That is what it is. Her earning potential was not necessarily assured. There is always a chance that anybody's financial circumstances will change, or they may even die. The Steenkamps were in a financially vulnerable position as far as their level of lifestyle went. I don't see that as relevant to Oscar's CRIMINAL sentence now? If they feel they have some financial claim on OP (they say not) THAT is a matter for civil court. I am inclined to say that such Civil/financial matters should never have been raised in this criminal case. I know it was a Defense witness who did so, but Oscar does have his LIFE on the line. It is reasonable to point to compassion shown to Reeva's family. It seems to me that the Steenkamps were happy to take the money, so long as it was secret and OP's compassion not known. Like I say, they have gone down in my estimation because of this.

Like I say again, I do sympathize with their position and the loss of Reeva. I have experienced similar myself. Punishing Oscar is not likely to help. It may even be a further psychological burden later if Oscar is unfairly treated and they are in anyway complicit.

Nel is an evil man. He is being nasty for the sake of himself, for his "pride". It is sick that he would "gain" by imposing punishment and misery on another person, but that is the way Nel is. He may profess to be doing it for the "victim", for the family, for the Steenkamps, for "Justice" even, but he is NOT! If Oscar is now "punished" especially harshly, the Steenkamps may come to realize that and regret being USED by Nel and his own megalomania.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 pm 
ADMIN

I see the Dewani Trial in SA is delayed because Prosecutor has Chicken Pox.

I do so wish a dose of something befalls Nel!! :lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:45 pm 

He's certainly riddled with a few social diseases Rumpole - bullying being one of them.

Unfortunately the side effects of this particular disease are only felt by people in close proximity, and the carrier is able to function without pain. Nel has a particularly virulent strain - symptoms include :-

Inability to accept factual reality
Uncontrollable narcissism and rudeness
Regular displays of arrogance
Irresistible urge to pull clothing above shoulders
Inability to stand on two legs for any length of time
Dementia (specifically intending to 'get to that later' but never achieving this goal)

It was good to see Roux showing compassion and sensibility today when explaining that he wouldn't be cross-examining today's testimony, but merely asking a few questions. He gave opportunity to finish today thus avoiding the need for a distressed person to come back to court. As has been so typical during this trial, Nel can't comprehend that things can be achieved without going on the attack, and once again he showed that he doesn't care one iota for the well-being of anyone involved in the trial, even those on his side. His own ego is the only thing he's trying to satisfy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:09 am 

The cousin will once again return to give evidence, I really do not see what any of this has to do with sentencing.

Let's hope we don't see a repeat fro Roux!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 am 
ADMIN

"Impact statements" from family of victim are usually part of sentencing.. but all the shit about money is a civil matter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:47 am 

Now we have someone from correctional institute, give me strength.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 am 

I wonder if this is the longest 5trial in SA history?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 am 
ADMIN

Could be longest 2 week trial in the known Universe :lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 am 

:lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 am 

I am losing the will now. I can't take the in depth description of the internal workings and conditions in prison of a physical and emotional kind, seriously.

Furthermore, I go back to what I said many moons ago, they are not half milking tnis case for all their worth, does this happen with ordinary non high profile SA cases. I doubt it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 am 

This asshole is trying to make his jail sound like Club Med. They're the worst conditions next to those who were run by the KGB.

Let's ask some of the inmates how it compares with the Dorchester Hotel and all these grand musings of this deluded putz.

I think I want to gag.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:30 am 
ADMIN

Dont despair aavi. Nel has been so excited about this witness he has telegraphed what his (fanciful) testimony will be.

I predict Roux will be WELL prepared to rip him a new one. :cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 58  Next