It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43 pm 

http://spectator.org/articles/57852/i-w ... espect-lie

There is one important similarity about the two cases, however, and that is the malign involvement of prosecutor Angela Corey, whose desire for political aggrandizement seems again to have trumped professional ethics. She brought obviously unprovable charges against George Zimmerman and then decided to overcharge Dunn with first-degree murder (requiring the jury to concur that the shooting was premeditated) rather than going with second-degree, or manslaughter, or some other charge which a jury would have been much more likely to convict on.

Her protestations notwithstanding, much of the blame — not just for the trial outcomes but for intentionally rending the fabric of civil society — belongs at the feet of Angela Corey. Mr. Dunn is the villain here, but considering her position, Ms. Corey is not far behind. And she wants to shred the fabric more by retrying Dunn for first degree murder; one can only hope that the family of Mr. Davis will discourage her as Dunn’s consecutive sentences amount to his spending the rest of his life in prison.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:44 pm 
ADMIN

ActionNewsJax
BREAKING NEWS: Prosecutors plan to retry #MichaelDunn for the murder of #jordandavis in May.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 pm 

Good Lord!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 pm 

but of course....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm 
ADMIN

BRING IT ON!!! :cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm 
ADMIN

I predict a few delays... change of venue application.

New Defence attorney perhaps? Though I would like to see Strolla with help and resources to carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 pm 
ADMIN

The Duval Court site has made some more documents available..... see reference thread

MICHAEL DUNN REFERENCE (No Discussion)
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1183&p=70050#p70050

Of particular note is a copy of Jury instructions...

2/15/2014 — JURY INSTRUCTIONS – FILED WITH ALLEN CHARGE INSTRUCTION INCLUDED (pdf 42 pages)
http://www.michaeldunntrial.com/files/83537540.pdf

And the back and forth with Media Attorneys over access to discovery continues...

2/18/2014 — RESPONSE INTERVENOR POST-NEWSWEEK STATIONS FLORIDA, INC. D/B/A WJXT-TV4'S EXCEPTIONS TO MAGISTRATE JUDGE'S REPORT (pdf 12 pages)
http://www.michaeldunntrial.com/files/83537541.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 pm 

I was curious as to the jury instructions. I thought these were pretty clear, and the jury obviously disregarded them or didn't understand them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 pm 
ADMIN

I find the instructions to be NOT sufficiently clear.

I'd like to see the Verdict Forms.

It was mentioned in Court that since Dunn had offered a REASONABLE claim of self defence, then the jury had to consider that first, and further that the "Burden of Proof" rested with the State to disprove that claim. Nothing about "just for the first charge"

I think that needed to be spelled out in LARGE friendly letters right at the top of the instructions.

YOU MUST FIRST CONSIDER MR DUNN'S CLAIM THAT HE ACTED IN SELF DEFENSE.

DID THE PROSECUTION DISPROVE THIS CLAIM BEYOND ALL AND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT

That does not stand out in the Jury instructions. After this little preamble the instructions go straight to "Murder in the 1st Degree"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm 
ADMIN

IANAL Phillips     :Q45

Seems to WANT this to be about race

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm 
ADMIN

Dershowitz: Angela Corey’s ‘Prosecutorial Ineptitude’ Might Allow Michael Dunn to Walk Free
by Noah Rothman | 12:51 pm, February 19th, 2014

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz and Florida prosecutor Angela Corey have been at odds since she brought 2nd degree murder charges against George Zimmerman for causing the death of Trayvon Martin. The feud between Corey and Dershowitz escalated on Wednesday when the Harvard professor accused Corey of again overcharging and failing to fully prove the state’s case against Michael Dunn. He added that her “prosecutorial ineptitude” may lead her to appeal that verdict, a move which could result in Dunn’s convictions being overturned.

“It was overcharged,” Dershowitz said of the charges brought against Dunn for the murder of Jordan Davis and the attempted murder of three of his friends. “The prosecutor has a reputation for overcharging.”

Dershowitz said that, had Corey charged Dunn with “the appropriate charge” of 2nd degree murder, they would have convened a smaller jury which would have been less likely to hang on the most significant charge. He added that, by alleging that the killing of Davis was premeditated without the requisite supporting evidence, “you lose your credibility” in front of a jury.

“It’s all Angela Corey’s fault,” Dershowitz added. “The people of Florida ought to get smart and get rid of her.”

“I think she may also lose her appeal on the attempted murder case,” he continued. “She could lose everything and, if she overcharges again and gets a 12-person jury, she may lose again.”

“Prosecutors like her make it harder to seek justice for innocent victims of crime,” Dershowitz closed. He confirmed that Dunn could walk free due to Corey’s “prosecutorial ineptitude.”

....more (VIDEO) at link
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/dershowitz-a ... walk-free/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 pm 
ADMIN

Video at link well worth watching... Dersh always impressive. :cool

Dershowitz: Michael Dunn to Walk Free

I did find SPLODEY HEAD reaction to it :lol

Jane Velez-Mitchell and a gaggle of other shouty, screechy, wilfully ignorant, hysterical fish-wives Image
(And that's just the GUYS on the panel) :slap
:Q37
Alan Dershowitz: Dunn could go free on appeal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 pm 

Mind Your Own Business. Don't Look. Stay Quiet. Go the other way. Thugs will be thugs, doncha know?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm 
ADMIN

Anther Dunn juror #8

Michael Dunn Juror: Race Was Never a Factor in the Verdict
by Noah Rothman | 3:46 pm, February 20th, 2014

One of the jurors who convicted Michael Dunn of attempted murder after he fired a series of shots into an SUV full of black teenagers following a dispute over their playing loud rap music broke her silence on Thursday. Speaking exclusively with CNN, Juror number 8, an African-American, told CNN that those who believe that race played a role in the jury’s decision not to convict Dunn of the premeditated killing of Jordan Davis were misinformed.

“I never once thought about, ‘Oh, this was a black kid, this was a white guy.’ Because that was – that wasn’t the case,” juror number 8, aged 21, told CNN reporter Alina Machado.

“So, for people who say, you know, here’s another white guy who got away with shooting and killing a black kid, what would you tell them?” Machado asked.

I would tell them that they really should knowledge themselves on the law,” Miles replied.

“If this case wasn’t about race for you, what was it about?” the CNN reporter followed up.

“It was about justice,” juror number 8 responded.

...more (VIDEO) at link
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/michael-dunn ... e-verdict/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm 
ADMIN

It's not about 'stand your ground,' it's about race
By Mark O'Mara, CNN Legal Analyst
February 19, 2014 -- Updated 2136 GMT (0536 HKT)

(CNN) -- There has been a lot of debate about Florida's "stand your ground" law in recent days. From my perspective, the George Zimmerman and Michael Dunn cases were not "stand your ground" cases, although I know reasonable people disagree about my stance on this.

What I think most people can agree on is that the "stand your ground" law is confusing. I know because I've tried to explain it a hundred times. And here is my 101st attempt, this time in the context of the hung jury on the murder charge in the Dunn trial.

When you hear "stand your ground," think "no duty to retreat." For centuries, traditional self-defense implied a duty to retreat, meaning when someone finds himself in a threatening situation, he has a duty to exhaust all viable options to retreat before resorting to deadly force.

The problem with the duty to retreat is that, in the cold light of day, jurors may have a better perspective on a person's options to retreat than the person had during his life-threatening encounter.

Because of concern over this Monday morning quarterbacking -- and with the thought that we were sending people to jail who were otherwise justified in using deadly force -- legislatures in many states modified their justifiable use of force laws to say that people who have a reasonable fear of imminent great bodily harm or death very affirmatively DO NOT have a duty to retreat.

In other words, they can "stand their ground" and meet force with force, including deadly force. "Stand your ground" refers specifically to the removal of the duty to retreat.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/19/opini ... um=twitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:21 pm 

I think he is preaching to the choir.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 pm 

Bottom feeding lawyer John Phillips continues to follow the scheme team playbook

The Davis family attorney John Phillips said the slain teen's image was used to promote an event without the family's consent or knowledge. Phillips said when he asked about T-shirts being sold at the shoot with Jordan Davis' name and face on them, people said donations were being taken, but nothing was sold.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/new ... s/5730545/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm 
ADMIN

"This family is still parenting...Jordan Davis..." :40

:lol

It's TOUGH being a parent... ya never know when he (or she) will get shot dead... and you have all this copyright stuff to sort out :stamp

Thank heavens for (sometimes) lawyers like Phillips who will jump in... promote the cause...make the threats... ensure a fair cut of the takings etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm 

For my pal Rumpole....... a good quality recording of the dershowitz/lemon piece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxdB3RjR6Q

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next