It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:47 am 
ADMIN

More pretrial issues to settle in the case of Renisha McBride's porch shooting
Published On: Jun 30 2014 06:22:51 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 30 2014 07:19:57 AM EDT

DETROIT - A judge is making more decisions on evidence in the upcoming trial of a Detroit-area man who fatally shot an unarmed woman on his porch.

Lawyers are returning Monday to the courtroom of Wayne County Judge Dana Hathaway. One of the unsettled issues is the testimony of a firearms expert hired by the defense.

...more at link
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/more ... g/26722180

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 am 
ADMIN

No selfies of porch shooting victim at trial
By ED WHITE, Associated Press
Updated 10:31 am, Monday, June 30, 2014

DETROIT (AP) — A judge handling the case of a Detroit-area man who killed a young woman on his porch says jurors won't see selfies of the victim with marijuana, alcohol and a gun.

Defense lawyers say the photos on Renisha McBride's cellphone are critical to show the jury that she had a "character trait" for violence and aggression.

But Wayne County Judge Dana Hathaway says they're not proper under Michigan law. She says there could be a "million reasons" for the photos. The judge says she may have been acting.

...more at link
http://www.ctpost.com/news/crime/articl ... 588784.php

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm 

So the way it seems, when a "victim" is black the prosecution can say how great of a person they were and if you try to prove otherwise that is not allowed to be admitted into evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm 
ADMIN

Judge Rules in favor of the prosecution in Renisha McBride murder trial
July 1, 2014 thetrialfile

Cellphone Photos, Text Messagss & Crime Map of Renisha McBride not to be shown during trial.

Cell phone photographs of Renisha McBride, who was fatally shot by a Dearborn Heights man on his porch last year, will not be shown to jurors, Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Dana Hathaway ruled.

Theodore Wafer’s attorneys wanted to show jurors cell phone pictures that show McBride flashing gang signs and holding a gun. The defense, which previously painted McBride as a marijuana dealer with a troubled past, claimed that the pictures showed she’s not the “meek and mild” person prosecutors portrayed her to be

...more at link

https://thetrialfile.wordpress.com/2014 ... der-trial/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm 
ADMIN

Reminder: Trial starts July 21st

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 pm 
ADMIN

Dearborn Heights man's trial begins Monday
Published: Friday, July 18, 2014
By Scott Held, The News-Herald

DETROIT --
Dearborn Heights resident Theodore Wafer’s trial begins July 21 and more than just a Wayne County jury will be watching.

The 55-year-old Wafer is facing second-degree murder, manslaughter and felony firearm charges stemming from the Nov. 2 death of Renisha McBride, who was found dead on Wafer’s front porch at the corner of Dolphin and West Outer Drive.

The case has drawn national attention since.

The 19-year-old Detroit resident was killed by a shotgun blast to her face and during a preliminary examination of the evidence against Wafer, police testified the fatal shot was fired from inside the house through a closed screen door.

...more at link

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2 ... 339274.txt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:48 pm 
ADMIN

With jury selection set to begin, self-defense key issue in Dearborn Heights porch shooting trial
Oralandar Brand-Williams, The Detroit News
July 20, 2014 at 1:00 am

Detroit— Jury selection begins Monday in the murder trial of Theodore Wafer, a 55-year-old Dearborn Heights homeowner charged in the shooting death of 19-year-old Detroiter Renisha McBride last year and whose case has grabbed national headlines drawing comparisons to the racially charged Trayvon Martin case in Florida.

A jury pool of 200 Wayne County residents has been reserved for possible service in the case, which, like the Martin case, involves a white shooter and a black victim.

...more at link
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... ting-trial

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 pm 
ADMIN

Note from article above... a change of venue is still possible.

Quote:
His attorneys, Cheryl and Matt Carpenter, have characterized the incident as self-defense.
[...]
t is not yet known if Wafer will take the stand in his own defense. Cheryl Carpenter said she will wait until a jury is selected to determine whether she will seek a change of venue. Jury selection is expected to take a week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 pm 
ADMIN

Trial starts tomorrow morning... Jury Selection

Day1, Monday 21st July, 2014 9:00am EDT

If I can find links etc.... I will update live in a separate thread....

TRIAL - Streaming links and live updates
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1289&p=79016#p79016

Others can way in in THIS THREAD with comments and discussion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 am 

FroggieLegs wrote:

:28 OH I want one of those doors! love my glass door but hate it on pretty cool days! Fresh air~ I am wondering (still catching up last min) if Wafer locked screen after he shot..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:14 am 

FroggieLegs wrote:
Here's my thoughts on this case.

I don't for one minute believe she went door to door looking for help. Nope not buying that. I think that's a story her family created to take away from her being drunk. Start the public outrage prior to all evidence coming out.

I do think she was so drunk she may of thought she was either at her home or the home of a friend. I think she knocked on the door and because no one came to the door right away, she got louder and angrier with her knocks turning them into bangs and possibly yelling. I picture her being so drunk thinking she knew who's house she was at, that she started yelling open the door mofo and using all other kinds of strong language. When he opened the inside door to see who it was, she flipped thinking this guy with a gun was inside her home or a home of her friend and went nuts. It's a no-brainer that this guy didn't open the door and say to himself... hmm a black girl, I think I will shoot her. Even though that's what the family wants you to believe. Somehow, someway, he accidentally shot her. Yes I think he should have some consequences for his actions but I don't think a life sentences is one or charged with murder. The problem I have with all of this is, the minute she stepped a foot in his yard, she entered his private space. He did not seek her out. To me, she holds the higher blame for all of this. Not him.

Thinking out loud (softly its 3am) but if the screen is on the door. And she is banging on it. She prob helped mess the freaking screen up doing that too. this is making me so interested to watch this trial lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:32 am 

On page 9, Rumpole posted a section of the police report. In it, it states the door was closed/locked. So does this mean CLOSED and LOCKED or closed/shut. Also it says the screen was popped out, and the officer put it back in n locked with tab loosely. Wonder if it was loose b4 or if Renisha banging on it popped and stretched the tab making it loose. ok back to catching up on page 13 now lol Sorry if repeats... no fish slapping YET please

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:19 am 

Well crap, some of my comment really sound dumb after finally finish reading all 19 pages! whew exhausting. see yall later on. gotta take a lil nap then go help get some wedding stuff done with a friend for her dtr wedding on Friday. Yall are awesome! Hugs, Mimi :86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 am 
ADMIN

I see you are "getting up to speed" on this case Mimi :blow

There will be a test on case knowledge :slap

Post subject: Move
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am 
ADMIN

H/T Jen's Trial Diaries....

Trial to start in death of unarmed woman on porch

DETROIT (AP) — Roused from sleep by the sound of pounding in the wee hours, a suburban Detroit man grabbed his shotgun, opened the front door and blasted a young woman in the face.

Is Theodore Wafer guilty of murder? Or did the 55-year-old use deadly force based on a reasonable fear that he was at risk?

Jury selection starts Monday in a trial that will put Wafer's self-defense claim to a tough test

. The 19-year-old woman, Renisha McBride, was drunk but unarmed when she climbed the steps of his Dearborn Heights porch, 3 ½ hours after crashing her car a few blocks away.

Wafer, an airport employee who lives alone, is charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and use of a gun during a crime. If convicted of the murder charge, he could face up to life in prison, although the actual term would likely be shorter.

...more at link
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/trial ... n-on-porch

Post subject: Move
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 am 
ADMIN

That headline (and the tone of article) betrays already the usual MSM bias.

I can smell the smoke from the burning torches already!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 am 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:15 am 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 am 

Well, they comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case are starting to come in. The key Renbot or is it Nishabot? Anyway, the key phrase being thrown around is, he shouldn't have opened his door. So the rules are becoming clear now. If you see a black person on the street, stay in your truck, if you see them on your porch stay in your house. I am still confused though. It is racist to lock your doors if you see a black person walking in your area, but it is also racist to open your door. So you have to keep your door shut but not locked right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 am 
ADMIN

IF ONLY Wafer had just stayed in his bed (pulled blankets over his head) and phoned 911!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 37  Next