It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:32 pm 
ADMIN

Last night, I watched Jean Casarez's CNN Special Report, "Married to a Murderer: The Drew Peterson Story". It was very good and I learned a few things I didn't know about him.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/30/us/drew-peterson-trial/

It airs again on Saturday at 8:00PM CDT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:28 pm 

ICYMI ~ The CNN documentary in its entirety.

'Married to a Murderer': The Drew Peterson story

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 am 

:69 Dakota

I don't really know enough about Drew to comment, at least not from facts that I have read or can recall at the moment :roll . I know officers from that area and have a family member who is thick as thieves with the PO in the area. IMO Drew is pure scum. I believe he killed all 3 of his wives.

Will County is a paradise for body disposal. There are vast fields, deep rivers, lakes, industrial parks, garbage dumps and Lake Michigan is just a stones throw away. I don't expect Drew to ever enjoy freedom or the opportunity to kill again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:36 am 
ADMIN

Carm. No doubt Drew is a scumbag, but.....

He had 4 wives.. two survived he killed the last 2 :cool

However.... I have feeling as I do for JVS that Drew was convicted in the minds of a hysterical lynch mob.. and not by the judicial process. Most people dont mind that.. especially at True Gossip Forums.

No evidence (body) to charge let alone convict him in the disappearance (death) of Stacy Peterson. But he was tried in media over that... and declared guilty of that murder. With no evidence they went after him for (maybe) murder of 3rd wife instead. Dr Baden being a big part of that. It was Baden who organized the exhumation of Kathleen Savio and did the autopsy. His BIAS in that case was palpable.. he should NOT (IMO) have been a witness in the case... and lots more stuff... It is my opinion that the conviction was "unsafe" and so should be overturned on appeal. (FWIW I think he did it (x2), but the prosecution did not prove that beyond reasonable doubt).
Drew's current bother with solicitation of murder and solicitation of murder for hire, I have NOT followed, he is probably guilty, but I'd like to see what gets presented at trial.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:59 am 
ADMIN

My position has annoyed some people.... I am "Tough on crime" and want scumbags punished harshly... but I do also "Cherish" the Judicial system whereby we have INTENTIONALLY placed athe high standard of "proof beyond reasonable doubt" in there.

As the saying goes... "Better to let a guilty man go free, than risk incarcerating an innocent man"

Add to that hysterical lynch mobs on line ready to convict without (despite) evidence... and a "system" that seems to have an agenda (political or whatever) when it comes to some cases. Corrupt activist Judges and prosecutors.. etc.

We really do need the safety of a high standard in the Justice System.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 am 

Rumpole :smoke
OMG I think he is so guilty of killing Savio. I also think Stacy knew and he feared her telling. As much control as he had over Stacy, he knew he was losing it. But I do agree with you about Dr. Baden. There was so much more to the trial proving his guilt from what I remember.

Carm, Peterson lived in Bolingbrook when 4th wife went missing. I went from a convention in Rosemont to a family reunion in Plainfield, when all this was happening. There was a media circus at his home, it seems like for weeks. We drove over to Bolingbrook but weren't allowed to go down his street -- because we weren't media and we didn't live there. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:41 am 
ADMIN

I DO NOT feel like arguing..... lets arm wrestle for GUILT... BEYOND reasonable doubt :cool

He is in Pris... I will have more to say if/when there is an appeal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:42 am 
ADMIN

Apart from the TRAVESTY of Dr Baden orchestrating an exhumation (of a "Badly water effected" 5 year old corpse) and... contrary to all proper practices of scientific investigation (experimenter bias).. going into an investigation (autopsy) with STRONG preconceived notions that he had been expounding on news shows for 2 years.... staked his reputation on etc He did the autopsy (and found what he "hoped" to find).. and gave testimony :roll

Peterson's GUILT for both Savio and Tracy Peterson was established LONG before he was charged... a lynch mob whipped to a hysterical frenzy nightly for two years or more by the usual TV chattering , legal bobble-heads.. Gretta and Nancy et al .... Baden was a star turn most nights in that circus.

Also.....

Any LAW applied RETROSPECTIVELY is contrary to all norms of justice...

Here we have a law applied retrospectively and CREATED AND WRITTEN JUST TO GET DREW PETERSON!!!

And.. Hearsay is STILL hearsay.. it still has all the shortcomings and DANGERS that has caused it to be NOT ACCEPTED in most jurisdictions.

Quote:
CNN and “Drew’s Law”: Professor Beckett on using hearsay evidence in trials
Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CNN (Jan. 19) -- According to U. of I. law professor Steven Beckett, hearsay evidence is a serious disadvantage to defense lawyers because they cannot cross-examine the person being quoted. Illinois passed a law in 2008 -- dubbed "the Drew Peterson law" or "Drew's law" by the media -- that allows hearsay evidence if prosecutors believe the victim was killed to prevent his or her testimony. "This other witness may truthfully be saying what the person said, but how do we know what the person said is true?" said Beckett, director of trial advocacy at the College of Law.

http://www.law.illinois.edu/news/article/1095

Quote:
Illinois passed a law in 2008 -- dubbed "the Drew Peterson law" or "Drew's law" by the media -- that allows hearsay evidence if prosecutors believe the victim was killed to prevent his or her testimony.

Quote:
"This other witness may truthfully be saying what the person said, but how do we know what the person said is true?" said Steven Beckett, director of trial advocacy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Beckett said hearsay evidence is a serious disadvantage to the defense because they cannot cross-examine the person being quoted.

There are no eyewitnesses or physical evidence to link Drew Peterson to Savio's death, his attorneys argue.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/19 ... n.hearsay/

I followed the trial live.... no cameras as I recall??

And I know there were LOTS of reasons for me to be unhappy with how it was conducted. I Can not recall all now... but as I say... I will have more to say if the case does ever go to appeal. :cool

There were LOTS of learned law experts who questioned the safety of this conviction too... just sayin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:08 am 

I should have refreshed my mind before I commented, sorry for being lazy and counting on my non stellar memory :roll

Hi Dakota :28 you are of course right about it being in Bollingbrook, I confused it with another crime in the general vicinity :roll

Anyhow I think Drew killed both Stacy and Kathleen. A man shouldn't go to prison for being a known jerk and evidence shouldn't be fabricated to convict someone where evidence does not exist. I just refreshed my memory by doing some reading. Drew was a fool to not let the judge rule on the mistrial. the defense would have come to the table knowing more about the prosecution's game, if they had to start again. Public opinion, biased and Drew's arrogance and ignorance certainly contributed to Drew's conviction. I am not inclined to comb through the transcripts though I am apt to believe he could have been convicted void of concrete evidence because the circumsatntial evidence was strong and many many cases are won on circumstantial evidence.

Rumpole I know the old maxim, "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer" < this one is Benjamin Franklin's version. I agree with it whole heartedly but it is impossible to put into put into practice.

It is an ideal with an impossible equation. There are obviously innocent people in prison, what is the solution? To open the doors so the innocent and the guilty go free? We in America are blessed with safe guards against false imprisonment yet no system is foolproof.

I don't like the late to the party "witnesses" who came forward in the Peterson case much like in the Pistorius case. I have some problems with "Drew's Law" especially the auspiciousness it lent to the prosecutors in the Peterson case. That said there have been exceptions to the hearsay law long before the Peterson case. Baden is an opportunistic agenda drive hack IMO. That said Drew is guilty to the courts satisfaction, whether or not that satisfaction really met the standard of proof I'm not educated enough about the case and applicable laws to state an opinion one way or the other.

There are more worthy causes for my time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
ADMIN

I certainly am not losing sleep over DREW... being convicted.

It is the principle and precedent that worry me. Very shonkey tactics IMO

eg Imagine Angela Corey getting Florida legislature to pass some daft law about "Not getting out of your car" when observing and reporting a suspicious person... or whatever... and applying that to George Zimmerman retrospectively. Imagine Angela Corey being able to introduce hearsay in regards George Zimmerman...

Similarly think about such tactics used against Darren Wilson.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:54 pm 

Drew Peterson's murder conviction is upheld; prosecutor calls it 'vindication'

By Chicago Tribune staff

November 13, 2015, 10:57 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

(excerpt)

Drew Peterson's conviction and prison sentence for the murder of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, were affirmed by the Illinois Appellate Court, which said the circumstantial evidence against him proved he had the motive and the opportunity to commit the crime.

The court, in an 87-page ruling, said the evidence against the retired police sergeant was "sufficient" to show he killed Savio, who was found dead in the bathtub of her Bolingbrook home in 2004. The medical evidence, the court wrote, made clear that Savio had been murdered, while "the remaining circumstantial evidence and the reasonable inferences therefrom" proved that Peterson was her killer.

The court also upheld Peterson's 38-year sentence, which means he will not be paroled until May 2047, when he would be 93.

In a unanimous opinion, the court declared it had found no errors at trial — an unequivocal statement for such a nuanced case like Peterson's. His attorneys had argued that a series of erroneous rulings by the trial judge, when taken in their totality, had denied Peterson the right to a fair trial.

"The defendant argues that he was denied a fair trial because of the cumulative effect of all of the errors listed," the opinion states. "However, since we have found that no errors occurred, defendant's claim of cumulative error must be rejected."

For the full article click on the link.

I find it a bit odd that they didn't find any errors in this case. Usually they at least find a little something in a complicated case such as this but then say it was harmless error or didn't affect the verdict etc. The way this case/trial has been handled just seems off to me. I may not like Drew Peterson but it bothers me that things just don't seem quite right in the way his case has been handled. I'm not really concerned about Drew Peterson, personally, but am concerned about the overall damage to law and justice that may occur. JMO

Here is a link to the opinion:
http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Opinions/ ... 130157.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 pm 
ADMIN

THX shestone.

As I have said before... I wont lose any sleep over Drew being locked up the rest of his life.

But....
I do still think the process that found him guilty was hinky :roll

The appellant judges don't think so .... C'es la vie!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 pm 

Drew Peterson appeals murder conviction to state Supreme Court
By Christy Gutowski | Chicago Tribune | January 19, 2016, 6:47PM

Two months after state appellate justices rejected his appeal, Drew Peterson is asking Illinois' highest court to toss out his conviction for the notorious murder of his third wife.

Lawyers for the imprisoned former Bolingbrook police sergeant filed the lengthy appeal Tuesday to the Illinois Supreme Court. Peterson argues he was denied a fair trial due to the use of so-called hearsay statements, as well as other alleged critical errors, during court proceedings in Will County.
[...]
The prosecution gleaned a conviction in 2012 without a confession, eyewitness or an exact time of death.

Instead, jurors later told the Tribune, damaging statements from Stacy Peterson's pastor and a divorce attorney persuaded them to convict Peterson. Both men testified Stacy told them shortly before she vanished that she knew her husband killed Savio.

The 3rd District Appellate Court in Ottawa, in an unanimous Nov. 12 opinion, declared it found no trial errors and that evidence against Peterson was "sufficient" to show he killed Savio, 40, in 2004. It upheld the 38-year prison term. He is due to be paroled in 2047 at age 93.
[...]
The state high court typically hears a small percentage of such petitions. For example, justices agreed to hear arguments in less than 5 percent of the nearly 1,500 petitions filed in fiscal 2014, the most recent year for which statistics are available.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-drew-peterson-appeal-met-20160119-story.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm 
ADMIN

I have started a separate thread for the murder-for-hire case and trial

Drew Peterson murder-for-hire
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1712

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29