It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:06 pm 

:Gslap

Spot on and too funny Rumpole.

I will need to find a new source of amusement when the sentencing is handed down and the folly of certainty is crushed (again) :95 .

It is sad that some minds are so deeply imprinted that there is no light of reason that can penetrate their corridors. At least some have spouted their nonsense and slunk away. Others insist on braying their ignorance.

:98

The words of Akhenaton come to mind;

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance.

:77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 pm 

Masipa got it right.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/201 ... eventualis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:55 pm 
ADMIN

Yes. She seems to have seen things my way... :lol

I think this case still has "legs". I expect a sentence MUCH less than the maroons imagine.

Private settlement with Steemkamp parents is likely DONE? I can not find confirmation of that, but it was being negotiated back in August 2013. The HATE crowd are banking on a civil suit for millions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:03 am 

Yes I believe I read that the Steemkamp's have settled with an out of court monetary agreement.

I go back and forth on how I think Masipa will sentence. I think it can go either way. I do think she will make her mind up after mitigating/aggravating circumstances are made. I think the "speculators" will be further incensed at the sentence Oscar receives.

I think Masipa is a very rational person and reason will rule the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am 

I do suspect that Oscar will write a book and donate the profit to charity such as the organization for amputee's that he was involved with before Reeva's death.

He has no need of money as the family money well is deep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:19 am 
ADMIN

There will be a book for sure and Oscar does have potential to earn... outside competing, but maybe he can even compete again? That will be limited I think.

I never was a huge fan of Oscar. My support was for the facts of the case, not a personal love of Oscar, and certainly not Hate of Reeva and her poor family. I guess that is the difference. The Moonbat crowd descend into Hate and get personally emotionally involved (In their minds). Oscar was certainly reckless. I do see mitigating factors for a disabled person and Oscar in particular. However if Masipa decides on a custodial sentence then so be it. I imagine it will not be a long term? And I am sure that Oscar will not be just thrown into a hell-hole where he will be assaulted and raped (as the Maroons imagine and want). He will be sentenced to some sort of inmate friendly low security place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 am 

I didn't know much about Oscar and nothing about Reeva before her death. I read Oscar's book because the case intrigued me. Definitely a man with ghosts. But not an ill willed man by any stretch of the imagination.

I cannot imagine the unbearable pain of Reeva's parents. The very natural order of life has been denied to them, Reeva should have buried and grieved her parents, that is the natural order of things, when it is reversed especially by such a sudden and violent end, I imagine life for a while is simply unbearably surreal.

I can't imagine the incredible burden that Oscar carries.

A horrible tragedy all around.

The blood lust of the crows will not be met, it would not serve justice or the image of SA to throw Oscar in a hell hole filled with Aids infected mad men bent on raping Oscar.

It is a case of negligence and Masipa will rule sanely without vengeance but rather with the law, justice, reason, the weight of Reeva's death, mitigating circumstances, aggravating circumstances and a fair amount of personal judgement which has been honed over the years as to whether or not Masipa believes that Oscar is truly remorseful. I think that she will put stock in his depression and demeanor. If I was Roux I would show Oscar as the broken man he is being jostled by the throng and reaching for the hand of the woman supporting him. In my mind that picture said volumes. The rawness of Oscar's frail and traumatized psyche is palpable. I know that what I am saying is a subjective reading of a brief moment but, that brief moment says a thousands words.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I think Oscar is a suicide risk. There may be people that would be happy if he took his own life. I would not be one of those people, I think he is redeemable, I think he ill be a more measured man, I think he may never forgive himself for killing Reeva and he will always carry that regret, remorse and burden with him, that he through erroneous assumption and fear the life of reeve a woman he cared for at least more than casually, but as Rose Kennedy said "“Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?”

I think Oscar is a long way from enjoying any sunlight left to him, but I think he best honors Reeva's memory, and best makes amends for his horrific mistake, by finding that sunlight and living the life that would make Reeva smile. I do not think Reeva died in fear of Oscar or would hold ill will against him if there is an afterlife.

I think Oscars largest battle will be forgiving himself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:00 am 

I never knew much of Oscar before this case. Can't be sure what if any his intent was but I do think it's possible it's just as he always said. I think the judge will be fair.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:05 am 

Well I just can’t stand to read the lunacy of the speculator’s anymore, it is boring, repetitive beyond tears, ignorant, hateful and simply reads like a breathless school girls crush, it is emotion that turns feelings into facts, “I know he did it, the judge is wrong, I know more than Masipa and her assessors, LOOK AT HIS EYES,!!!!!!!!!!!” bah blah blah. So no more amusement for me :(.

Perhaps they are confused and they think that a consensus online can change reality. Folks, it just doesn’t work that way. The objective truth being the narrative is justice. Justice means “fairness” their is nothing that can bring justice to Reeva, there is nothing that can make it fair that she is dead. There is no punishment that can be metered out to Oscar to restore Reeva’s life, or even the Steemkamp’s hearts.

Punishment for Oscar’s negligence (and yes that is what the sentencing phase is about) will not bring true justice for Reeva. Justice is for the living, if Reeva had been murdered in cold blood justice ( a just/fair punishment) would find Oscar behind bars for a very long time, but Oscar has been found guilty of negligence and justice will mean something else.

Even Reeva’s mum with all her pain and all his well justified anger and sorrow understands objectively what justice is, she does’t like it, but even with her mind shattered by grief and her heart fallen out, she has a better understanding of the word than the self righteous dullards who promulgate their demonstrably wrong theories as facts.

I think the social media surrounding this case is a great insight into closed minds, group think, a general failure to be able to think critically, confirmation bias and the danger of codified and celebrated prejudice. Twitter, bloggers and all the gossip folks need to find something to do other than rage about their incomprehension of reality and their fantasy scenarios of what must be so.

In all honesty some of the reactions to this case and their insistent tapping out their version of reality over and agin will make their reality an actual reality, reminds me of the Ferguson mobs caught on tape breaking the law and then saying “it just ain’t so”. I am not suggesting the shrill Oscar hater’s are criminal, simply that reality is something other than their perpetually proclaimed wistful narrative and the objective evidence has already been presented before a court of law, Oscar is guilty of Culpable Homicide. No bellyaching on the internet is going to change a finding of fact or a verdict by a competent and well respected judge.

Energy spent screaming about injustice on the internet under the misguided premise that ranting on and on will bring about "justice" and not just a small case justice but "Their Justice" is not only folly it is just nuts.

JMO :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:57 am 
ADMIN

Thanks Carm :give

I love your little tirades... a positive side effect of this case, and the daft posting about it. I hope your observations will continue. This case has already faded for most, and we will all stop thinking and posting about it altogether soon... however.... pick a case.. pick any case and the same dopes will be posting the same sort of stuff with the same sort of willful ignorance.. about Life... The Universe, and everything! Hope you comment on other cases too. I dont like to get bogged down in what the maroons are saying at the expense of following each case itself, but as you say the, the Forum dopes are a study in themselves, worth commenting on a little, if only as a means of clarifying RATIONAL thought in contrast to the Forumbots.

And... they are proved WRONG every time and so some fun in seeing that at case end.(I told you so stuff) Their pretzel logic in response to being proved wrong has a certain "charm" :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:12 pm 

I love your little tirades

Thanks for that Rumpole, I'll try to keep you smiling :17 I don't know how I let the ignorance of the mob perpetually surprise me but it does.

Anyhow I have been reading about the Ferguson case and it is quite interesting. Again the "psychology" of the minions and their "Dear Leaders" is quite a statement about how malleable the minds of the incurious are. Same lot different tactics and cause when it comes to some internet "mobs". They have an idea, 2 of them decide that it is true, and it is written in stone, evidence be damned.

Interesting stuff. I don't think hug-a-thug worked out so we'll for Jackson, I'll transition my commentary (tirades :77 ) about the inanity of group think and the absurdity of Thug Appeasement soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius Trial: Henke Pistorius Wants 'Decent' Talk With Son; Barry Steenkamp Wants To Know The 'Missing Link'
BY Gracie Smith | Sep 27, 2014 11:20 AM EDT

Although his presence in the Oscar Pistorius trial was limited, Henke Pistorius has expressed his support for his son in the sidelines. The heartbroken father only appeared in court during the deliberations for the final statements.

According to The Telegraph, he may not have been there physically, but the Pistorius patriarch monitored the proceedings in the advocate's chambers just 400 metres away to avoid media attention.

He also revealed that he and Oscar have yet to really sit down and have a "decent" talk since the Paralympian shot his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentines' Day last year.

"We've said in various conversations and SMSes [text messages] we must get together and have a long talk," Mr. Pistorius shared. "Since the tragedy he hasn't had a decent talk with me. He hasn't yet talked to me from his heart."

He added, "I know it's going to happen. It's going to happen soon and it will be good for both of us."

One more person who wants to talk to the Blade Runner is another father - Reeva Steenkamp's father, to be exact. Barry Steenkamp told Australia's SBS One that he and his family would only find closure if he can question the athlete personally.

"It won't be anything nice or anything like that, but I'd like to sit down and talk to him," he said. "And I'm sure that will come about."

Mr. Steenkamp and his wife, June, bear "no hate" for their daughter's killer. However, they can't deny that the judge's final verdict for the Oscar Pistorius trial shocked and disappointed them.

...more at link
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/406 ... -trial.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:59 am 

A Pretoria judge's perspective on what might occur next week.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/oscar-faces-10-year-term-part-suspended-1.1763118#.VDjEO8ktSlX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:06 am 

I personally hope for no more than three to five years in actual custody. I see the disability and his clear psychological suffering and remorse as mitigating issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:50 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Junebug,
I hope for a short sentence too. I have no idea what the precedents are in SA.
I don't think he will serve any time in some aids ridden hell-hole , where he will be beaten and raped, as the Neltards imagine and hope.
I hope the SA system is enlightened enough to have less severe places for an incarceration such as in this case. Masipa seems pretty smart, I hope a way can be found for any sentence to involve, some way that OP can be productive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:20 pm 

Yup, Roger that.

Although nobody should get one free shot at taking a life, this was a one in a million domino of circumstances that couldn't have gone more wrong and was unmistakeably an accident.

Judge Masipa has shown no propensity to give a damn what the emotions are of the truly stupid. She went against every talking head that said she would have to put Oscar in the custody of the State for the mental evaluation. Now she has wallowed through the deceit, garbage, lies, hype, theatrics, and outright conspiracy that Nel tried to serve up to her as a first class premeditated murder and found it be exactly what it was.

I expect her to be just as measured in precisely balancing the teter totter in sentencing just as the scales of true justice require. I really like that lady--in fact, I have to commend all three of them. I don't know about the guy, but I suspect he is no dummy and I have been saying for months how much I like that female assessor.

I don't know how many caught it but when she started to read the verdict she said it was the "unanimous decision of this court" as to their decision. So all three disregarded Nel's crock of crap and held to the rules of evidence and common sense.

There a lot of courts and countries that would be lucky to have those three adjudicating trials and deciding verdicts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:48 pm 
ADMIN

Hi avi. I did notice the "unanimous" I have commented as counter to 'tards who have blamed Masipa.

3 Judges worked out well... my continued criticism of SA system is the time wasting. Day to day, but also overall letting things run (Nel's case) that are transparently silly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm 

I have gone back and forth in my mind when I think about what kind of sentence Judge Masipa may hand down. I think the question of sentencing is the hardest guess work of the entire case. I know Masipa has handed down stiff sentences in the past and that she has a history of taking a strong stand against domestic violence.

That said, this is not and never has been a case of domestic violence and Judge Masipa and her assessors are nothing if not logical, intellectual, letter of the law advocates. So her history of being an advocate for abused women will have no bearing on her sentencing. My best guess is a suspended sentence. I don't know what latitude Masipa has in commanding some type of physical reparation from Oscar. I would like to see something that would have made Reeva smile such as Oscar being mandated by the court to work with underprivileged youths or amputees. The law is made to punish but there is no punishment that can match the negligent act of taking a life. Adding to the conundrum is that it is not negligence in the manner of something like drunk driving but negligence of a mind which clearly lived a more fearful and reactive life than even the average SA.

Masipa has a lot to figure into her sentencing, and again I would bet a dollar to a donut that both her assessors have extremely liberal leanings and will be advocating for a suspended sentence even though the decision is Masipas to make. I think Masipa will be looking for a sentence that will draw whatever good can be drawn out of the this tragedy. I think Masipa believes that Oscar's remorse is genuine (as do I) yet the law justly demands reparation and punishment for such a grievous act of negligence. So what will Masipa decide the Law demand? That is the question.

I do not know what Reeva's parent's want as they have said they do not believe justice has been done, so I do not think they will ever be satisfied nor do I blame them for any doubt or ill will that they hold toward Oscar. He killed their beloved, it would be worse if he did so willingly and with malice and I hope someday they find a way to let the light back in their lives that Reeva would so want them to have.

I'm sure the next few days of mitigating and aggravating circumstances will be very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:50 pm 

I think that Roux is going to have some powerful mitigation witnesses lined up. It is going to hammer home the point of his hair trigger anxiety. Even though it's not officially GAD, it is as close as you can get. I expect that it will be shown how his affection for Reeva was palpable to many who saw it and reinforcing his genuine grief shown, not only that morning, but constantly throughout the trial.

All Nel can do is beg and cry and whine that the mental eval didn't show diminished responsibility and that he is responsible for his actions and knew right from wrong. But it's going to look more and more pitiful as the defense witnesses show this case to be in a class all by itself. And the more the lettuce thrower tries to associate it with other culpable murder punishments, the more it's going to look like he's grasping at the last hail Mary to minimize the egg that's already on his face.

I hope the mental evaluation that Nel so desperately wanted, comes back to boot him in the ass, because it's chock full of mitigation evidence for a minimal sentence--even showing him to be a suicide risk.

I'm going to put my faith in Masipa no matter what she decides. Because she has done already what maybe 80% of other juries wouldn't have---followed the law and the constricts of the burden of proof ignoring pressure from "experts" and the international spotlight.

No matter what the sentence is, I'm confident she will justify it ten ways to Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 am 
ADMIN

House arrest being recommended :)

Not much point in an Ankle Bracelet... :lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 58  Next