It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm 

Thank you JuneBug for the article.

It is sweet to see that there are sane folks out there :)

This part in particular is so spot on

As I predicted, strident opinions would neither wait nor, as required by law, be based on rational consideration of proven facts, which, at the time of writing, could have gone either way. People made up their minds on no more evidence than pretrial speculation and gossip. Summarised reports of the state’s case, inevitably compelling and prominent, rendered preconceived notions impervious to countervailing evidence. Evidence that, as the unanimous judgment explained, conclusively invalidated much of the prosecution’s case.

Such a breath of fresh air among the ignorance and hysteria that is out there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm 

Sorry I see you quoted the same passage as I was reading and typing :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm 
ADMIN

Really? There are people who are that daft and hysterical? Surely you Jest? :lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm 

Hard to believe but it is true, daftness and hysteria are common ground for some folks :98

:smoke :smoke :smoke :smoke :smoke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 pm 

For the Strident Speculators who can still not figure it out;

Pg 3317

"The accused clearly wanted to use the firearm and the only way he could have used it was to shoot at the perceived danger. The intention to shoot however does not necessarily include the intention to kill."

Simple.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 pm 
ADMIN

At the risk of repeating myself.....

The verdict has opened my eyes, but only in the sense that I thought I must be missing something since this case seemed VERY simple to me from the outset. I could not see the point in even trying to put (and prove) a baseless speculation about Domestic violence and premeditated murder?? I thought the trial should take a week (maybe 2)... And I was correct.
I know "Justice" has to "be seen to be done".. but not at the expense of the farce we witnessed. I blame Nel (and prosecution team) but also Judge Masipa (or at least the system she is restrained by). This trial should have been halted or at least put back on track when Nel FAILED to produce an opening statement, and certainly after he meandered his way through his presentation which showed an impossible timeline for his case and what his witnesses IMAGINED happened. That is not a case at all. Since Nel had no case there should have been a summary dismissal.. at least of Murder charge. It was Nel who decided to over-charge and so I think it would have been reasonable to drop ALL charges. In that sense it is unfortunate that OP was convicted of CH the way this trial went down. If OP had been charged with CH.. I would have to defer to Judges decision

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm 

There were so many speculators and gossips demanding that they had the unassailable facts in this case that it seemed like if there was smoke one should at least look for fire. That is the problem with having an open mind, one thinks if 100 people are saying it, there must be some merit behind it, so you go ahead and dig around behind the sensational claims and find out, no this is simply a bad case of smoke and mirrors with the delusion of fire. All of it wrapped up in group confirmation bias. I am wise to remind myself if a herd of cattle is running off a cliff it is not that they are making independent decisions to leap off the cliff they are just caught up in the ameba of the moment. Shame on me for me for being distracted even if it was just to stand slack jawed and look at the spectacle.

Something sobering that Judge Masipa said in her rendering of the verdict is when Masipa was referring to Reeva’s taking her phone with her to the bathroom for many reasons, one reason could be to use it as a light as the bathroom light was broken but then the judge states this;

To try to pick just one reason would be to delve into the realm of speculation.

Such a breath of fresh air after all the frenzied speculation posed as evidence and irrefutable facts. The judge was bound by facts and evidence. The facts and evidence lead to her verdict.

I think that those gossip gals and guys do not understand that the luxury of speculation is not tantamount to the cold hard truth or even what is likely possibly true.

Reading about this case online has been and continues to be a fascinating study in the human psyche, group think, lynch mob mentality, persistent ignorance in spite of actual facts, the psychology of transference of rage, confirmation bias, and a whole cornucopia of peculiar, curious and dangerously clouded thinking.

The fact that Judge Masipa needs a special security unit and body guards paints a very bleak picture of how intellectually and morally deficient many people in the guilt before facts crowd have become and how close we are to the days of pitchforks and scythes.

Something I don't think that I have commented on, but I did find incredibly disturbing is those posters who could and did pronounce Oscar "evil" by the "look in his eyes" this harkens to a very dark and ignorant perception of humanity and a very egotistical view of oneself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 pm 
ADMIN

Yes, Carm. Part on my interest on line is people watching. :)

The Forum posters (and lately tweets)

I am not all that interested in "Crime" generally.. though I like the "whodunnit" aspect of solving a puzzle based on information (facts).

(As an aside: I THINK the Lynch Mob at Ferguson and the types tweeting and posting about that case is another interesting example)

People who read and post at "Random Topics" just for the OP case might find Michael Brown shooting interesting too
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=1302&p=81741#p81741

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:35 pm 

Yes the people watching is very interesting, and yes the Ferguson case is a great study in the psychology of ignorance and hate, which has resulted in a mob of folks that "know so much that isn't so" as Ronald Reagan would say.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 pm 
ADMIN

Judge Masipa got it right – on the law
Kim Hawkey | 18 September, 2014 00:03

Judge Thokozile Masipa's verdict in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial has created an explosion of criticism, commentary and division in the legal fraternity and the public.

Masipa cleared the athlete of murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, instead finding him guilty of culpable homicide and of one firearm-related charge.

This was because Masipa found that the state had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Pistorius had the necessary intention to murder Steenkamp.

Despite finding the athlete was a “very poor witness”, Masipa accepted that Pistorius’s version – that he genuinely believed there was an intruder in his house – could reasonably possibly be true, which is all that was necessary for an acquittal on murder.

...more at link
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/201 ... eventualis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 pm 

After all the hysteria is weeded through it seems that there are two points of contention for those who are maligning in every and any manner the good Judge Masipa,

1) That Oscar had objective intent to kill whoever was behind the door, (non-withstanding Masipa's clear and logical explanation of subjective and objective intent and the court's emerging acceptance of "subjective intent", and her clear and proper application of the law) and then there is point 2) of contention, which is that Masipa should have found Oscar guilty of murder because if Reeva had been an intruder he would have killed an intruder. It is this point that is so convoluted that I had trouble wrapping my head around the thoughts that were being expressed. Pardon me for those who were two steps ahead of me in the translation of frenzied and malicious nonsense :smoke

So aptly posted elsewhere :);

Judge Masipa ruled that Oscar could not be found guilty of murder because his firing of the gun must go to intent. Oscar intended to keep himself and Reeva safe from an intruder (this is a finding of fact), therefore Oscar had no intention to kill Reeva, it goes to follow that his negligent action of not making 100% certain of Reeva’s location and his negligent action of firing a gun into a small toilet cubical, goes to the heart of negligence. But the court can NOT put a hypothetical intruder in Reeva’s place in order to find that if Reeva had been an intruder THEN Oscar would have been guilty of murder.

The judge even warned against the court’s being allowed to speculate when it came to why Reeva had taken her phone to the toilet. To speculate what crime Oscar would be charged with IF Reeva had been an intruder is simply not lawful and would set a dangerous precedent.

The judge dismissed the charge of premeditated murder of Reeva, she also dismissed the charge of murder of Reeva, not an intruder. It follows lawfully and logically that the lesser charge of murder could not be speculated to in a hypothetical situation whereas “what if”. Masipa did not address the question of “what if” because it is not the courts place to speculate a hypothetical that they know is erroneous.

I do understand that people disagree with the logic and the application of the law that has been set forth in Masipa’s rendering of verdict. I personally see the logic and think that she made the only application of law that she could.

So again subjective intent was and is the salient point from which all reasoning flowed in Masipa’s decision to find Oscar not guilty of murder.

The reason I refer to and quote the verdict is because it is the verdict that is being argued against.

It does’t matter what anyone thinks could possibly reasonably be true other than Judge Masipa. The judge and her assessors have spoken unanimously, and I think the judgement was logically and legally sound.

Hopefully I have expressed myself clearly.

All the bellyaching and hyperbole in the world won't change the facts as they have been decided my Masipa or the law that she has properly applied. I am amazed.

Last edited by Carmelita on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm 
ADMIN

Whoever you are quoting....

Masipa did not address the question of “what if” because it is not the courts place to speculate a hypothetical that they know is erroneous.

I have been TRYING to explain to dopes about "What if..." for years :wall

That is fine in the context of chat and gossip about a case.. if that is all, but these dopes see themselves as EXPERTS. Investigative sleuths, prosectuing lawyers, judges, medical examiners, ballistics experts.. etc etc etc. They further claim to be advocates for "victims" and to be providing support to families and victims??

"What if.." has no place in a trial.. at least NOT on the prosecution side. What if is anathema to "beyond reasonable doubt" "What if" is an expression of doubt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 pm 

Again this is my first rodeo when it comes to watching a trial and wading among internet posters and their opinions, so the great and wacky "What if..." as being a reasonable scenario for a judge to base her verdict on is new to me :94

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:09 am 

My thoughts on the great "Hating Judge Masipa" movement.

I began as a casual onlooker when it came to the case of Oscar Pistorius. And to call it the “Oscar Pistorius” case is not to forget Reeva, regardless of anyone’s belief about what the exact circumstances of Reeva’s death were, one fact is not disputed, Reeva died at the hands of South Africa’s national hero, “The Bladerunner.” Pistorius has never disputed this. What has been disputed is the specific circumstances of how Reeva’s death came about.

A well respected judge, Judge Masipa has rendered a verdict about the largest “circumstance” that lead to Reeva’s death, Masipa has ruled that Pistorius did not with premeditation murder Reeva Steemkamp, Masipa has also ruled that Oscar did not murder Reeva, instead Judge Masipa found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide. This ruling did not sit well with those who believe that they know the facts, the law, Oscar, Reeva, the after affects of apartheid, and whole lot of other things better and more fully than Judge Masipa and her two assessors.

We have no rational reason to believe that the evidence of the case of Oscar Pistorius was not meticulously and thoroughly dissected by Judge Masipa and her two assessors. Her history of sound judgements speak for themselves. A unanimous agreement was reached as to the finding of facts, it is upon those finding of facts that Judge Masipa made her application of law. Masipa found that Oscar’s version of the morning of Reeva’s death was reasonably possibly true and she ruled accordingly. Masipa said that the court found that the verifiable evidence supported Oscar’s story and invalidated the prosecutions allegations.

Judge Masipa was just doing her job, she was attentive and engaged during the trial as were her assessors. She clearly stated her finding of facts, her reasoning and her duty to the legal process not to speculate and her lawful duty to rely on the evidence which the prosecutor brought against Pistorius. She specifically spoke about the danger of speculation. She specifically said and gave examples of how the prosecution did not prove it’s case.

Her verdict in relation to the charge of premeditated murder was not guilty, as was her verdict on murder, she found Oscar guilty of the very serious crime of culpable homicide which can carry a 15 year sentence.

Masipa has ruled. And in so ruling she has become a safe person for enraged internet posters to hate and malign . The hate that I have read directed at Masipa is so bone chilling, so deeply held and zealous I can only compare it to a fundamentalist religion that damns any and all who do share the same exact blind faith as it’s followers. It is a hatred that seems to go to the core of many posters. The collective denouncement of Judge Masipa is unceasing in it’s refusal to even entertain the idea that perhaps Judge Masipa “got it right.”

There are those posters who claim that their singular and collective judicial wisdom is greater than that of Judge Masipa and her assessors. There are poster’s who find fault with Judge Masipa’s finding of fact and application of law and who are arrogant and ignorant enough to feel it is their moral duty to school Judge Masipa (on internet chat boards, twitter, Facebook, and the comments section of articles, none the less) in matters of the law. To what end the attacks on her character are made I do not know, unless it is a misguided belief that an assault on Masipa’s character somehow inversely gives credence to their spurious accusations.

All of this is done of course from behind a computer and any attempt to bring a little perspective to Judge Masipa’s decision is derided so there is no intellectual conversation or debate, most posts, comments and blogs seem to be a simple hate fest. They are incised so therefore they must be right.

There also seems to be a perpetual group acknowledgment of “their” rightness and Masipa’s “wrongness” what a load of, irreconcilable to the evidence, nonsense. Collective consensus, confirmation bias, preconceived notions, a single point from which to view and outrage are never a good replacement for intellectual pursuance of fact finding.

The poster’s histrionics might be fodder for a good laugh but the rage expressed by this mindless self righteous indignant is the one of the most dangerous kinds of rage, because it is hatred and prejudice veiled as advocacy, it is a speculative rage that defines it’s own truths and prejudices at it’s very foundation, it is certainty to the point of blind madness. And all this rage directed at a long respected judge is justified under the guise of advocacy.

As Patrick Jane of the Mentalist said “Certainty is the mother of fools.”

This “certainty” has caused people to accuse Judge Masipa of many appalling things including being ignorant of the law, being promoted to her judgeship because she is a black woman rather than because of her capabilities, incompetence, corruption, she has been called terrible names, in fact it seems racism and misogyny have played a large part in the criticism against Judge Masipa, she has been accused of being in the pocket of Arnold Pistorius, infatuated with Oscar, of having dementia, being senile, being a puppet of both the “Pistorius Clan” and or her assessors. On and on the libelous accusations go.

It seems that some on the internet simply can not set their emotions aside and view this verdict on it’s facts rather than their preconceived ideas which were set in stone long before Oscar sat wailing in a courtroom (another “certainty” many of the internet “experts” promote is that Oscar’s emotions were disingenuous or solely for himself.)

Unfortunately many people seem to be trying to make the facts fit their preconceived notions rather than bending their theories to fit the evidence. I think one would be hard pressed to find one of Judge Masipa’s more vitriol detractors who has the fundamental knowledge that this case is not and never has been a domestic violence case.

Lost in all the chaos of the fury directed at Judge Masipa is that it is Reeev’a last moments of life which are in question, and it is the truth of those moments, that is so important to her family and loved ones. The internet posters who insist that Oscar became a mad man and chased Reeva through his house, cornered her in a locked bathroom and maliciously murdered her, in spite of con tray evidence, do no service to Reeva, they do not honor domestic violence survivors or victims, they are not fighting to bring closure to Reeva’s family. They are in my opinion fighting their own demons and they are transferring their personal bias to a case in which a terrible and negligent error of judgement was made, so terrible it lead to the horrid and tragic death of Reeva. Advocate and ignorant instigator should not be interchangeable terms.

I believe Reeva died in terror, but not in terror of Oscar Pisroius, in terror that Oscar was shouting about a real intruder in the house, I am sure she did not realize that he mistook her for an intruder, it may be a bitter consolation but if Judge Masipa is right, if the evidence is to believed, and I think she was and it is, at least Reeva did not die terrified of the man she loved but rather she died thinking that he was trying to protect her as she hid silently in a cubical hoping that she would not be discovered by the “intruder.”

It is a horrific tragedy and those internet posters who in spite of the verdict and the evidence continuously malign, and libel Judge Masipa should hang their heads in shame. And perhaps realize that their opinion, their certainty, is not the be all and end all of this case, the be all and end all of this case is the horrid tragic death of Reeva and they would do well to honor her by letting the law take it’s course rather than demanding their “infallible" judgement reign supreme.

For the rational person, the respecter of the law, the mob like mentality that has overtaken these twitterers, bloggers, advocators, armchair detectives, and casual commentators does not need be feared because individuals do not understand Judge Masipa’s ruling and they are expressing their anger about it, they need to be feared for their refusal to unhinge their prejudicial view and look at the facts of the Oscar Pistorius case. This is not seeking justice, this is seeking an agenda.

When a poster or many posters talk about the “evil, soulless eyes” of Mr. Pistorius and how they know that he is an evil vile man and they know that Judge Masipa’s ruling was bought and paid for and not decided on the facts and the law, they are entering dangerous and libelous waters.

In the apt words of Voltaire “Prejudices are what fools use for reason.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:27 pm 

Speaking of group think :roll

I think that part of the problem which the enraged speculators has is that they keep saying what they would have done and what Oscar should have done. They continuously forget what an extreme moment in time this was due to Oscar’s original error in misidentifying a sound.

Speculating that Oscar knew Reeva was dead and that his attempts to resuscitate her were part of his act simply shows an ignorance of humane psyche. Extreme trauma causes the brain to try and make the situation something other than it objectively is. An iconic example of this is when Jackie Kennedy started to climb out onto the trunk of a moving car to retrieve a piece of President Kennedy’s head, in that moment (sorry for the graphic) putting John’s head back together was a viable option to her. Her mind could not comprehend the horror of the moment so she instinctively went about fixing it.

Oscar has been made out to be a cold calculating monster, remorseless, a man simply looking forward to getting back to a playboy life style, I see a man broken with grief. He looked incredibly frail when he was being escorted to his car after the verdict and there is a moment when he reaches for the hand that is escorting him as he is being hustled through the throng. This childlike gesture for reassurance is surely not that of a cold calculated monster who is trying to manipulate a judge into thinking he is a man filled with remorse. It is the gesture of a broken man barely able to withstand the weight of his own guilt and the crush of the moment. I know this is “dangerous” territory as I am speculating on behavior but I think it is a pretty safe speculation, given what is accepted human psychology.

Note 48:16

The state of mind of the man in this clip is not that of a victor or someone who has gotten away with something, it should be obviousto even the psychologically ignorant that Oscar has been destroyed by this. To say Oscar is tragic does not lesson the tragedy that Reeva is dead.

As I’ve said this is a state of mind case, I look forward to hearing the mitigation part of the trial. I feel both side have a lot to work with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm 
ADMIN

GREAT post, Carm. :give

I wish I could spell my thoughts out so well, or even formulate them in the first place. Posting on-line for 6 years has led to short burst type posts. With the verdict in it's a great time to gather thoughts and write more expansively.

(I'll try linking the post at twitter and CTH) :cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm 

Thanks Rumpole, I try not to get too wordy :Gslap and I see I should have proof read a little better but :28

I am both fascinated and saddened by the the beast of social media.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm 
ADMIN

You can edit for an hour... but I dont mind (usually dont notice) typos... makes me feel better about mine :cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 am 
ADMIN

Carm, I have been "on the wagon" for some time in Regards "True Gossip/Lynch 'em" forums but I took a peek :eek

As you say it goes beyond funny, the daft I normally find amusing. These people are so stupid it is actually scary. They were wrong in their approach from the outset on this case. Not at all surprising, because the same people have shown themselves to be uninformed and logic-challenged with all previous cases. So... not at all surprising to me that they are shown to be wrong by the verdict, and explanation by Masipa. The scary part is that instead of admitting they were wrong (despite I and others trying to help them along the way), they still maintain that they are right. To deny reality rather than accept fact is known in the trade as "Delusion". At the very least a rational reaction to being shown to be so wrong would be to shut up now and slink away (in shame). However the ones left posting are genuinely angry, its beyond just throw-away uninformed opinion. It is beyond just being unaware. For the few posters I read this is full-blown psychiatric problem. Psychotic and or neurotic people. They should NOT be in a position to decide anything that effects other people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:15 pm 
ADMIN

Oh... there is still daft to be found as well.

Neltards! :lol

Their "minds" are so imprinted and their "logic" so twisted that they still claim that Nel did a MARVELOUS job!! :N20

Apparently, the fact that people (mainly themselves) disagree with Masipa's verdict PROVES that Nel was right on the money. :wall

IF there was to be any hope for these dopes it would have to involve a bit of self-awareness. Nel made fools of them. Trying to foist a ridiculous case on the Court. The court were not fooled, but the Neltards were. They should be very annoyed with Nel. They really needed to see that Nel had no case "beyond reasonable doubt". As Masipa stated. She was accurate in stating that, but I think that "flatters" Nel. In fact he had no case at all. An impossible timeline and speculation based on almost nothing. He might just as well have contended that the case involved a Space Alien abduction of Reeva that went terribly wrong. The OP-RS "argument" and claims of DV were simply baseless nonsense.

If the dopes had turned on Nel and not Masipa.. there might have been some hope for them. Perhaps they could in time lead a normal life. Therapy and some calming medication regime would most likely help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 58  Next