It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:48 am 
ADMIN

The Court has adjournment... they did not say for how long... tomorrow?? Maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:49 am 
ADMIN

I'll post replay vids ... in the thread we had for trial vids.

PISTORIUS TRIAL - VIDEO REPLAYS (NO DISCUSSION)
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1212&p=107191#p107191

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 am 
ADMIN

The Daily Maverick......

The Oscar circus goes to Bloemfontein
Simon Allison Life, etc 02 Nov 2015 10:45 (South Africa)

The Oscar Pistorius circus moves to Bloemfontein, where lawyers will argue among themselves about just how guilty he really is, and whether the trial judge, Thokozile Masipa, got it wrong in her initial judgment. The outcome will determine whether Oscar gets to enjoy the remaining four years of his house arrest, or gets sent back to the slammer for a much longer stint.
[...]
Proceedings are scheduled to last one day. The panel of five judges, led by Judge President Lex Mpati, is not expected to issue a verdict on Tuesday. It will be announced on a later date. Given the high-profile nature of the case, the decision could be announced sooner rather than later; within weeks, rather than months. As is customary at this stage of the judicial process, Pistorius will not be attending the appeal in person.

There are three possible outcomes: The appeal is dismissed, and Pistorius will serve out the remainder of his custodial sentence at his uncle’s mansion in Pretoria; the appeal is upheld, and the appeals court imposes a new sentence for murder, or the appeal is upheld and a retrial is ordered. Barry Roux, Pistorius’ advocate, has said that Pistorius does not have the money for a new trial.

...more at link
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/ ... jiTc26LWRk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 am 
ADMIN

IMO Gerrie Nel should be convicted of Gross abuse of "power".

He is a nasty vindictive little man... I'd LOVE to see him locked in a cage for a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:17 pm 
ADMIN

I will lose murder appeal, says Pistorius' lawyer
By Aislinn Laing in Bloemfontein
11:36 AM Wednesday Nov 4, 2015

[.....]
Pistorius's lawyer Barry Roux faced tough questioning by the panel during a three-hour hearing in the city of Bloemfontein yesterday (Tuesday) and afterwards was overheard telling Mr Nel in Afrikaans: "That I am going to lose is a fact." Mr Roux's comments were caught by a microphone placed in the court for a live broadcast. Brian Webber, Mr Pistorius's solicitor, said they were taken out of context and meant "nothing".

"We think we have got a very arguable case," he said. "We certainly don't think we are going to lose. Mr Roux was asked some tough questions but that is how the [court] works - it was always going to be an inquisitorial approach." A prosecution source said they had read little into Mr Roux's remarks. "As colleagues we are entitled to talk to each other in confidence," she said. "We all joke around and make comments about winning or losing, it usually means nothing."

The state is, however, confident that the manslaughter conviction will be overturned, she added.

It won a legal victory yesterday when an old precedent was overturned that blocked appeals in cases where judges had convicted a criminal of an alternative charge.

...more at link
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11539933

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 pm 

Good gravy. I will read more about the fiasco later but Nel seems a vengeful piece of work. IMO Nel has more cognitive guilt on his hands than does Oscar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 pm 
ADMIN

Appeal of Oscar Pistorius' murder acquittal centers on intent to kill
Robyn Dixon Reporting from Johannesburg, South Africa

[.....]
The key question came down to this: Did Pistorius, a gun enthusiast familiar with weapons and ammunition, realize that firing four shots into the cubicle would probably kill the person inside?

Several of the five judges in South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal questioned the reasoning of trial judge, Thokozile Masipa, as they questioned Pistorius’ attorney, Barry Roux.

In South Africa, if a person foresees that his or her actions can kill someone — anyone — and proceeds anyway, it is murder, a principle known here as dolus eventualis, or indirect intent.

...more at link
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la- ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:41 pm 

The key question came down to this: Did Pistorius, a gun enthusiast familiar with weapons and ammunition, realize that firing four shots into the cubicle would probably kill the person inside?

For sanity's sake the whole damn trial came down to Oscar's state of mind, he was acting in his mind in self defense, he was stopping an advancing intruder, in the seconds that Oscar was pulling the trigger he was mistakenly trying to stop a person he believed to be an intruder, he was not weighing whether or not he would likely kill the person, Oscar testified to as much on the stand.

I didn't watch the hearing did Roux bring up this "matter of fact."?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:51 pm 
ADMIN

Carmelita wrote:
Good gravy. I will read more about the fiasco later but Nel seems a vengeful piece of work. IMO Nel has more cognitive guilt on his hands than does Oscar.

Hi Carm... I only caught the very end of the hearing... and I was shocked to see both Roux and Nel again arguing aspects of the evidence.. it already smacks of "Double Jeopardy" to me.
The "point of law" that Roux was trying to make.. seemed to be LOST on the judge doing the questioning. I fear the SA legal system is a load of CRAP.. well suited to Nel's "style"

Nel of all people KNOWS the facts of this case and yet he went ahead with an impossible notion of the second set of bangs being the shots.. the cricket bat not heard after, unexplained set of bangs prior to shots... leaving an IMPOSSIBLE time-line after shots as documented by exact times of phone calls and arrivals etc.

"Oscar was a bad witness" has become an accepted "fact".. and yet I dont think he was bad at all. He certainly replied with his account at least consistent with known facts. Nel's "version" was ridiculous. Any "failings" of Oscar on the stand were clearly as result of a vicious (and dishonest) interrogation by Nel. BADGERING ( to say the least)....Often begging the question and putting words in Oscars mouth.. or worse.. completely falsely stating ( for the record) a WRONG interpretation of what Oscar actually said.

I know different rules of questioning may apply when a Judge ( rather than jury) are considering evidence.. but what I heard in this case was a travesty of any reasonable form of questioning.... which should be done to elicit information and facts of testimony.. not wild speculation and interpretation of facts by witnesses... and Nel dishonestly promoting his own (imposible) fantasy version of events.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:58 pm 
ADMIN

More from The Daily Maverick....

Op-Ed: Dolus Eventualis Day

[.....]
As expected, there were ad nauseam mentions of dolus eventualis and dolus directus and the rabid opinionated trolls made a meal of whether Masipa was wrong or right, but for many it was too much to bear to watch Barry Roux and Gerrie Nel rehashing all their arguments yet again. You would have been excused for unplugging your TV, shutting down your laptop and burying your head under a pillow for three hours.

But I want to tell you that there was far more to yesterday’s proceedings than just the fate of Oscar Pistorius.

On the face of it, the decision by the National Prosecuting Authority to take this matter on appeal smacks of a desperate prosecutor intent on seeing a disgraced superstar convicted of murder. Supporters of Pistorius would easily argue that Gerrie Nel is so hell-bent on seeing the athlete rot in jail that he would do anything to have Masipa’s judgment overturned. But the decision to appeal is far more complex and nuanced than that. It was a crucial step that had to be taken to clarify aspects of the law and to create precedent and that was evident beyond the theatrics of yesterday’s argument.

...more at link
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/ ... jl0Lm6LWRk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:02 pm 

Hi Rumpole, I won't have time to watch it for a while. It sounds much like I would have thought it would go. I am really amazed that Nel was allowed to retry the case in the manner which it sounds he retried it. What a mockery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 pm 
ADMIN

As I have said before... whatever happens to Oscar.. he had a LUCKY escape..

At least he wont be sentenced to LIFE with June Steenkamp as a Mother in law :eek

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/ ... ther-video

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm 
ADMIN

Pistorius appeal: Oscar's 'Nowhere to hide' moment
03 Nov 2015 03:44 (South Africa)

[.....]
Broadly, arguments centred around three main issues: whether this court had the necessary jurisdiction to hear the appeal in the first place; the substantive question on whether Pistorius had the intention necessary for a murder conviction; and, if the court does find against the athlete, whether it can impose a new conviction or must it order a retrial. Neither prosecution nor defence are keen on a lengthy and expensive retrial, with Pistorius running out of money for further legal battles.

In his arguments, state prosecutor was highly critical of Judge Thokozila Masipa, who presided over the original trial. “The court ignored the most important circumstantial evidence,” he said, contending that this failure led to Masipa misconstruing Pistorius’ actions on the night in question. Nel also argued that Masipa was inconsistent in relying on Pistorius’ evidence when she had already dismissed him as an unreliable witness.

Barry Roux, advocate for Pistorius, tried to argue that these issues were questions of fact, rather than questions of law, and therefore not grounds for an appeal under South African law. The judges, however, interrupted him frequently: they were more interested in his interpretation of the concept of dolus eventualis, or indirect intention, which would form the crux of a potential murder charge. In layman’s terms, this is the argument over whether Pistorius foresaw the possibility that he might kill someone when he shot four bullets into a tiny bathroom, and whether he recklessly proceeded with his actions anyway.

...more at link
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/ ... jo_8W6LWRk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 am 

Where is Al when you need him? I am so damn tired of lawless agenda driven idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:40 am 
ADMIN

Al makes a good point.. and I am a big Al Pacino fan :cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:36 pm 
ADMIN

No decision on Nel's "2Lbs of flesh" appeal :roll

Aunt of Oscar Pistorius posts picture of him smiling with his cousins on his 29th birthday
23 November 2015 at 2:02pm

Aunt tweets smiling picture of shamed sprinter with young cousins at his uncle's mansion where he is under house arrest

A picture of Oscar Pistorius celebrating his birthday with his young cousins has been released by his family, showing the sprinter looking hollow-eyed but happy.

Pistorius was flanked by ten young cousins during a gathering to mark his 29th birthday.

The paralympian looked remarkably cheerful considering he faces the prospect of returning to jail on a murder charge following this month’s appeal by prosecutors against his manslaughter conviction.

...more at link
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/au ... 20706.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:31 am 

Appeals court to decide whether 'Blade Runner' Pistorius guilty of murder
By Zandi Shabalala | REUTERS | December 2, 2015

South Africa's top appeals court could send "Blade Runner" Oscar Pistorius back to jail on Thursday for at least 15 years for killing his girlfriend on Valentine's Day 2013 in a sensational case that continues to fascinate and divide the nation.

Last year a judge gave the disgraced Olympic and Paralympic gold medalist a five-year jail sentence for "culpable homicide" of Reeva Steenkamp, but prosecutors say he should be convicted of murder for firing four shots through a locked toilet door.

The athlete left jail on parole in October and is meant to serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest, but the Supreme Court of Appeals could now overrule the original verdict and find him guilty of murder or order a retrial.

More at link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/12/02/us-safrica-pistorius-idUSKBN0TL2RJ20151202#oG30m6LOOECUPO4j.97

2:45AM EST, Thursday, December 3
Watch Live: http://www.enca.com/south-africa/catch-it-live-oscar-pistoriuss-be-decided

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 am 
ADMIN

THX Molly... since I am already trying to watch a million things at same time.. one more will be easy :95

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:42 am 
ADMIN

Nel wins... "Justice" in South Africa loses big time...

Guilty verdict on Culpable Homicide set aside, but Guilty of Murder substituted.

Oscar has to return to Trial Judge for sentencing on that offense.

I give up on South Africa... a place I would never visit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:46 am 
ADMIN

Video of the farce...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 58  Next