It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 pm 
ADMIN

LIVE COVERAGE: Michael Dunn Retrial
Tue September 30, 2014
By Rhema Thompson

The retrial of Michael Dunn entered its fifth day Tuesday.

Dunn is charged with fatally shooting 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Southside Gate gas station during a confrontation over loud music in November 2012.

The defense rested its case a short time ago in the case of Michael Dunn.

Michael Dunn took the stand to testify in his own defense for a second time in his life.

The defense called Dunn as its fifth witness in his retrial. He also took the stand in his first trial back in February.

Tuesday, Dunn became choked up at times as he recounted his version of events from that evening.

"I was in fear of my life...I was petrified," he said.

...more at link
http://news.wjct.org/post/live-coverage ... -retrial-0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am 
ADMIN

Today's closing arguments.

Wolfoson for the State first. She always seems to me like an opinionated Girl's High School Head Prefect (not sure what US equivalent is). Sort of an opinionated "spoiled brat" type. Opinion Nazi type who thinks if she boldly states things people HAVE to believe her. :stamp She was making up a lot of what she stated as fact, or at best mis-stating things in a biased way. She is CLEARLY a student of the Corey/Guy smoke and mirrors and play on emotion school. The very approach judges often warn jurors to NOT take, is what these prosecutors promote. Play on emotion and sympathy for "the victim" regardless. It does actually ultimately do "victims" a disservice. Every time they "sugar coat" a victim, by extension they say that victims in all lesser "states of Grace" are to be treated with less concern. For instance, when Prosecutors stress that a victim deserves extra consideration because they are young, or smart, attractive or well behaved etc The converse of the argument is that people who are say, over 30, or overweight, or simply just a "bit of an asshole" character do NOT deserve the same consideration in the Justice system. Presumably fat ugly people are fair game for any crime bad guys care to perpetrate?

Hanania for the Defense was stating more or less the position that I hold, so I have to admit myself to be biased towards her. However she was without question laying out the basics of what a Jury decision should be based on. The (simple) concepts of "Innocent until proved guilty" and the huge burden on The State alone to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt. In this particular case to DISPROVE beyond reasonable doubt Dunn's claim that he acted in Self Defense while in fear for his life. IMO the State did not even come close. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for anybody to do so because the cops simply FAILED to investigate some things that would be essential to proving that. Hanania did cover this and a lot of things I would have pointed out too. She did a good job, though it is hard to put such matters to an average person in a way that it will be grasped. She did try. She also preempted more (improper) play on sympathy and emotion from Guy when he followed her and got up to deliver final State close.
Like Pavlov's dog.. John Guy could not help himself. He even noticed the preemptive warning about himself, and addressed it specifically. He stated he would NOT play on sympathy and emotion..... then he went right ahead and did it anyway throughout his entire speech!! :slap
I had a fun bet with somebody that he would use "17 yr old kid" theme and I won many times over. Guy closed with "..."Jordan Davis 17 for ever now..." I am pretty sure he copy-pasted chunks of his close on Dunn case from his (failed) close for the GZ case. Apparently, if you are killed at the age of 17 (and are black) you not only automatically go straight to Heaven, but you are are elevated to Sainthood as a starting position.

But, all is not lost. Judge Healey does get last say and THAT will (I hope) be correct instruction on what Florida laws are applicable, and put this case in that context. He should further warn Jurors to base their decision on the evidence that was present and NOT on sympathy and emotion (all of the two State closing speeches). I HOPE he stresses that their FIRST job is to evaluate Dunn's claim of Self Defense. If they accept that as valid then it's Game over.. ACQUITTAL.
From the snippets of discussion in regards Jury instructions it was obvious to me that Corey was up to her old tricks. Trying to Gerrymander the wording of the instructions, especially in regards justified use of deadly force. She failed (I hope) since Hanania insisted on reverting to the standard template version. IMO Corey managed to bamboozle and get her own way last trial and that at least added to a confusing set of instructions, which in turn (IMO) lead the Jury to do it WRONG. First trial Jurors SHOULD have considered SD before all else, and acquitted, or at worse be hung as they were, but on all charges.

I am interested to hear the Judge tomorrow, and see the Jury decision form. That too was confusing first trial. Or perhaps the jury misread it. It has to lay out the decision process in order clearly. It has to say that SD claim be considered first. As always one of my biggest worries is that the Jury will opt for a "compromise verdict". Figure that sine "the victim" is dead they must find Dunn guilty of "something". IMO Using that common fault from jurors is part of Corey's standard, devious and improper ploy. Overcharge in hope of getting lesser included charges to stick because of the "Compromise Verdict" effect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am 
ADMIN

LIVE COVERAGE: Michael Dunn Retrial
By Rhema Thompson

The jury in the retrial of Michael Dunn began their deliberations Wednesday.

After about a half hour of instructions from Circuit Judge Russell Healey this morning, jurors headed to jury room to begin deliberations at 10 a.m.

The state is seeking a first-degree murder conviction in the case, but jurors will also be able to consider lesser charges of second-degree and manslaughter.

“If you fail to follow the law, it would be a miscarriage of justice,” Healey admonished.

...more at link
http://news.wjct.org/post/live-coverage ... PY.twitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm 
ADMIN

Mark O'Mara: Verdict short of first-degree murder should be interpreted as thoughtful conclusion
Wed, Oct 1, 2014 @ 2:39 pm | updated Wed, Oct 1, 2014 @ 2:58 pm
By Mark O’Mara
For the Times-Union

Yesterday, the State of Florida asked the jury to find Michael Dunn guilty of first degree murder -- that is, premeditated murder. The defense, on the other hand, asked the jury to consider Dunn’s claim that he fired his weapon in self-defense, and they asked for an acquittal. This morning, Judge Healy gave the jury their instructions, presenting them with four possible verdicts: guilty of first-degree murder, guilty of second-degree murder, guilty of manslaughter, or not guilty.

We know there is also a fifth option: mistrial. The first time Dunn faced trial for the killing of Jordan Davis, the jury failed to reach a verdict on the murder charge. Will this jury be convinced, one way or the other, unanimously?

Probably. The first jury did convict Dunn on the attempted murder charges, and it may have been seen as an acceptable compromise by the jurors who would have otherwise argued harder for a murder conviction. This time, those other charges are off the table.

....more at link
http://members.jacksonville.com/news/cr ... nterpreted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 pm 
ADMIN

Trial expert Mark O'Mara: Angela Corey's team faces a much stronger defense this time
By Mark O'Mara Thu, Sep 25, 2014 @ 6:50 pm | updated Thu, Sep 25, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

The first time Michael Dunn stood trial for the shooting of Jordan Davis, Dunn’s lawyer, Cory Strolla, mounted a scattered, shotgun approach to the defense and it came across, at times, disorganized. A defense attorney runs the risk of desensitizing a jury to what’s important if every point is argued. It’s better to acknowledge that which is either easily provable, or not particularly relevant to the defense, that you want them to focus on. Dunn’s new legal team, led by veteran trial attorney Waffa Hanania, demonstrated a much more focused and coordinated approach.

...more at link
http://members.jacksonville.com/news/20 ... fense-time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:09 pm 
ADMIN

Rhema Thompson@RhemaThompson

In the courtroom 407, the stage is already set for when a verdict is reached.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 pm 
ADMIN

Man found guilty of first degree murder in Fla. loud music trial
By Susan Cooper Eastman, Reuters

A Florida jury found a white software engineer guilty of first degree murder Wednesday in the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager during a dispute over loud rap music.

Michael Dunn, 47, a software engineer, testified that he was defending himself when he fired 10 rounds at an SUV carrying four black teens listening to music at a Jacksonville gas station parking lot in November 2012, killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

...more at link
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nat ... ign=buffer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:00 pm 
ADMIN

Corey, Wolfson speak in depth about Dunn verdict
Author: Vic Micolucci, General assignment reporter
Published On: 2 h Updated 34 m

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - About 24 hours after a jury convicted Michael Dunn of first-degree murder in the 2012 shooting death of Jordan Davis, the prosecution team spoke out in a sit-down interview with News4Jax.

State Attorney Angela Corey and Assistant State Attorney Erin Wolfson spoke about their victory in a case they had been working for two trials and nearly two years.

They said they are relieved after a very long and hard-fought case, and they believe Dunn got what he deserves. Corey and Wolfson said they're glad they tried him again after the first trial resulted in a hung jury.

...more at link
http://www.news4jax.com/news/corey-wolf ... t/28375774

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:32 am 

He never should have left the scene. I believe in my heart of hearts that had he stayed until the police arrived we would not have to come to this point. Jury had to have found consciousness of guilt in his fleeing the scene. Now we wait to see if the Court of Appeals overturns the conviction on reasonableness of the self defense claim.

This jury got it wrong in my opinion. I say "not premeditated" and the SAO did not meet that burden for 1st degree Murder. But I am not so sure this is over.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 am 

His excessive force was also probably a factor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:05 pm 
ADMIN

I would have little problem with this trial/verdict other than for 2 broad factors.

1. I find Angela Corey/Guy to be despicable and I want them to lose.Not just a personal dislike of those people, I do think they bend and break the rules. I wont dwell on them.

2. Even though there is a high probability that Dunn was guilty, his claim of "Self Defense" was not disproved (BRD). IMO that claim could NOT be disproved because the Cops did not investigate. If only to disprove Dunn's claim they should have considered his version (kids with gun) more seriously and investigated it. IMO Cops dropped the ball. One does not need to be a "Dunn supporter" to make this point. The cops needed to investigate for Prosecution's sake, not for Dunn's sake.
I think the Cops decided within minutes of arriving at the scene what had happened. Bad guy with a gun (fled scene) and 4 innocent teens. That is the obvious scenario and basically what persisted from the moment the cops arrived at shooting scene, through all the trials and up to now. Occam's Razor not withstanding, "the obvious" is not ALWAYS the way things are. And cops do need to INVESTIGATE reasonable alternatives.. if only to "eliminate them from their inquiries". A rush to judgement by cops and a "blinkered" investigation may well miss things, as it did in this case IMO. Even when Dunn did give his version, Cops did not search the scene or make inquiries of the youths and associates etc.

I wont hold my breath waiting for the appeals, but I think there should be some eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 pm 

@Mung: The so-called "excessive force" should only count in regards to the other occupants of the car and as there was no mention of the attempted murder, excessive force should not have been a factor here.

I am with Rumpole on the Self Defense not disproved. I agree with this wholeheartedly and is why I wish he would not have left the scene. "I saw something that I reasonably believed was a gun" would probably had resulted in the immediate finding of the tripod (had they actually not ditched the actual shotty). The tripod by itself could have been interpreted by a reasonable person to be indeed a deadly weapon given the time of day and light factors.

This is also another example of not providing interviews to Police, disregarding the days past the shooting. You affirm only that you are asserting justification and you want to consult with an attorney before making any statements. I don't know why people still do not get this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
ADMIN

Yes Dunn certainly hurt his own defense by fleeing. Lets face it... he may have had reasons to do so. Like I say he may well be as guilty as all imagine, but... I can only repeat the cops (IMO) handed him a viable defense by their failures.

Given he fled if the cops had investigated the plaza and found nothing, I doubt I would have followed the case at all. Perhaps Dunn would have pled M2, and saved everybody having one trial, let alone 2.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:10 pm 
ADMIN

Paralegal Student@P4R4L3G4L

Michael Dunn filed a motion for retrial today

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 pm 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn sentenced to life + 90 years
47-year-old apologizes to parents, says he regrets what happened
Author: Vic Micolucci, General assignment reporter
Elizabeth Campbell, General assignment reporter
Published On: Oct 17 2014 06:26:14 AM EDT

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
Michael Dunn was sentenced Friday to life in prison without parole for murdering 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

The sentence also carries an additional 90 years for three convictions of attempted murder -- 30 years for each count to run consecutively -- and firing a gun into an occupied vehicle -- 15 years to run concurrently.

"Mr. Dunn, your life is effectively over," Judge Russell Healey to the 47-year-old. "What is sad is that this case exemplifies that our society seems to have lost its way."

In a statement he read in court that lasted about 25 seconds, Dunn publicly apologized for the first time for killing Jordan Davis.

"I want the Davis family to know I truly regret what happened. I'm sorry for their loss," Dunn said. "If I could roll back time and do things differently, I would."

Dunn continued, "I was in fear for my life and I did what I thought I had to do. Still, I am mortified I took a life, whether it was justified or not."

...more at link
http://www.news4jax.com/news/michael-du ... g/29185992

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 pm 

Yes cops should investigate and look for alternatives to what they suspect just in case they're too quick to jump. Reminds me of the OJ case in which they honed right in on him and didn't even do a grid search at least for a couple of weeks or so if I remember right. In that case the jury got it right.

I tend to believe Dunn just may have seen something that looked like a shotgun and I don't think they showed the burden of proof that he did not feel fear. How thoroughly did they even look for a gun I wonder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:45 pm 
ADMIN

H/T KingKazpur

Counsel has already been appointed for Dunn's appeal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:50 pm 
ADMIN

H/T KingKazpur

Appeal already started (See Docket Thread)

MICHAEL DUNN DOCKET (No Discussion)
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1194&p=82843#p82843

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:59 pm 
ADMIN

The Trial File@TheTrialFile
#MichaelDunn taken 'off the grid' by the Department of Corrections to keep his location a secret.

Lawmaker to examine statute that protects prison information of convicted criminals
Posted: 6:10 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2014
By Catherine Varnum

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Action News is asking local lawmakers about some inmates' records not showing up on the Department of Corrections website.

We found several high-profile convicted criminals whose information about what prison they're serving sentences at was public record. They included Charles Manson, Dennis Rader and John Couey. Couey is the Florida man who kidnapped and killed 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford.

But two local families can't find their loved one's killers. In an Action News exclusive Monday, we uncovered a loophole in Florida law that allows the Department of Corrections to keep the location of certain inmates a secret. Inmates like Michael Dunn and Jared Harrell.

"I've been looking and you solved the riddle," said attorney John Phillips.

Phillips represents Jordan Davis' family. Until our story, he didn't know why he couldn't find Michael Dunn.

The Department of Corrections refused to reveal Dunn and Harrell's location, citing a Florida statute. We went to state Sen. Audrey Gibson for her reaction to the law.

...more at link

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/ ... ati/nh5Qh/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 pm 

Oral arguments, for both sides, only lasted 30 minutes. The article below summarizes most of what was argued.

Michael Dunn Appeal Argument 06/07/16

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next