It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:18 am 

This case will be appealed within seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am 
ADMIN

That is always the cry, Mung. I dont recall watching ANY appeal where wrongs were righted in a case I followed?

Lots of talk... but nothing happened.... or I didn't hear.... or it takes years and has not happened yet.

I have not been at the True Crime business long... just since Casey Ant case.

Meanwhile Ted Wafer is in Pris.... and will suffer for it. He may well be beaten, raped, murdered.

Traybot types always call for that, and sadly I gather it does happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am 

Maybe something like this will happen

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/justice/n ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am 

It's been a while since I looked in on the treehouse to see what they were up to.

Does anyone know if they just pretty much ignored the Wafer/McBride case or did they purge a bunch of stories about it?

'Cause searching there turns up pretty much nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:10 am 

And was the significance of that BP station ever revealed?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 am 

A tragedy became a travesty in this case. A few thoughts I tweeted:

----
Defense didn't give good reason why #RenishaMcBride would try to enter #TheodoreWafer's house. The reason is she likely thought it was hers.

Jury was left w/ impression defense was saying #RenishaMcBride wanted 2 rob him. Which likely didn't make much sense 2 them. #TheodoreWafer

Defense shoulda stressed position of #RenishaMcBride's body. Feet 2 right of door. Meaning she had to lean from side to get shot. Surprise.
------

I'd also add that the defense didn't stress that Wafer didn't know that she was a 5'3" female. He didn't see her until the split second she popped into view (a very startling thing). Also, that's it's very common to be in fear and mad at what is making you afraid. The mad part is irrelevant unless you accept the premise that people always kill when they're mad. Which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

Coreshift wrote:
Also, that's it's very common to be in fear and mad at what is making you afraid. The mad part is irrelevant unless you accept the premise that people always kill when they're mad. Which is ridiculous.

Kubler-Ross five stages of grief... denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

There's no one standard response to a life altering event, no exact way of knowing how someone will or should react, and no particular order in which people will experience these reactions.

So for the prosecution to put the notion in the jurors' heads that Wafer's lack of tears when being interrogated by the police immediately following the incident was a sign of guilt wrongly assumes that all people will react in exactly the same way every time under similar circumstances.

It's also not at all unusual for a person to employ one coping mechanism in front of others (put on a brave face) and to employ an entirely different coping mechanism altogether in private (uncontrollable sobbing).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 pm 

unitron wrote:
It's been a while since I looked in on the treehouse to see what they were up to.

Does anyone know if they just pretty much ignored the Wafer/McBride case or did they purge a bunch of stories about it?

'Cause searching there turns up pretty much nothing.

I think there may have been a few discussions on the CT back last year when it first happened, but they didn't cover the trial.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:30 pm 
ADMIN

Wafer closely watched in general population cell after guilty verdict
Oralandar Brand-Williams, The Detroit News
August 8, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Detroit— Theodore Wafer, the 55-year-old Dearborn Heights homeowner convicted in the shooting death of 19-year-old Detroiter Renisha McBride, is being held in a general population cell at the Wayne County Jail but is being watched closely, officials said.

“Wafer is in a housing unit at Division III under very close observation. He is not in isolation,” said Dennis Niemiec, a spokesman for the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office which oversees the jail.

After the jury returned guilty verdicts on charges of second-degree murder, manslaughter and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony Thursday, Wafer’s defense attorney Cheryl Carpenter pleaded with Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Dana Hathaway to not send her client to the Wayne County jail, saying he will not be safe there.

She argued that he was not a threat to the community and needed to “get his affairs in order” before he heads to prison following his Aug. 25 sentencing.

But Hathaway denied her request and immediately remanded Wafer to the Wayne County Jail.

...more at link
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z39pYqTyZ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Oh dear poor froggie... can you escape Detroit? :give

Luckily I am on the other side of the state. While the city i'm in isn't as bad as Detroit, It's not any better than the suburbs right outside of it.

I think the defense did a HORRIBLE job defending this case. I heard very little about the poor investigation of the police. Oh it was mentioned just not driven home like it should of been. Especially the vigil being held on his front steps and yard only 4 days AFTER the shooting and prior to the police actually going there to investigate the crime scene. So much about this case pisses me off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:37 pm 
ADMIN

Retweeted by Michele
"I do think Renisha broke into Ted’s home. We heard the jury instruction the judge read that said simply, a porch is a part of a person’s home. So we have that, we know that Renisha was in Ted’s house because she was, and everybody agrees, she was on the porch,” Carpenter said. “If you have her on the porch, which is part of Ted’s home and you have her breaking a screen, which is part of Ted’s home, she is breaking and entering."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:49 pm 
ADMIN

Attorney Says Porch Shooter ‘Shocked’ By Murder Verdict: ‘We Will Definitely Appeal’
August 9, 2014 1:14 PM

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - A 55-year-old suburban Detroit man found guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of a young, unarmed woman on his porch is “shocked” by the verdict and deeply remorseful over her death, his attorney said Friday.

“I don’t think it’s fair or just that he is now labeled a murderer,” Attorney Cheryl Carpenter told WWJ’s Beth Fisher. “That was his worst nightmare and it happened.”

...more at link
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/08/09/ ... ly-appeal/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 pm 
ADMIN

Renisha McBride and the Giant Elephant in the Room
Posted: August 9, 2014

Since the guilty verdict in the Theodore Wafer trial, and many times throughout the trial, I have seen many people show outrage when Renisha McBride is referred to as drunk or high. I’ve seen people call it racist or insensitive to describe her as that.
[......]
Why? Renisha McBride WAS in fact drunk and she WAS in fact high. We aren’t talking about a few drinks either, .218 at the time of death and possibly almost .3 BAL at the time of the accident is reason for concern. Sweeping those facts under the rug does nothing to help the youth of America or people in general. Stating she was highly intoxicated is not saying she deserved to die by any means. This case would be a great teaching point for all people if an honest discussion about the facts occurred. Most of us were raised to analyze entire situations, whether we wrong or right as that’s the only way to learn and grow. So why is this any different? Failure to have this conversation can be devastating. There is a huge elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. Renisha was on a clear, tragic path to harm herself. To say that Renisha’s poor decisions had no affect on her fate is irresponsible. This was a horrible tragedy for both Renisha McBride and Theodore Wafer, honest discussion could prevent this in the future. Denying the factual details because we feed into false narratives and political agendas helps no one. For every action there is a reaction. The choices we make today, shape our life forever, and that’s a fact.

..more at link

http://thetrialfile.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -the-room/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 pm 
ADMIN

Wafer's sentencing rescheduled to Sept. 3rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 pm 
ADMIN

McBride's family files $10M wrongful death lawsuit over porch shooting
Oralandar Brand-Williams, The Detroit News
August 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Detroit — The family of 19-year-old Renisha McBride, who was fatally shot on the porch of a Dearborn Heights home in November, filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday against the homeowner, Theodore Wafer, who has been convicted of killing her.

The lawsuit was filed in Wayne County Circuit Court, the same court in which a jury convicted the 55-year-old Aug. 7 on second-degree murder, manslaughter and a weapons charge. He faces sentencing Sept. 3. He is currently being held at the Wayne County Jail in Hamtramck.

....more at link
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z3Ariq0NSp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm 
ADMIN

McBride Family Suit

PDF (12 pages)
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1 ... lysuit.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 am 

Yeah like he has 10m? The dude lives in Dearborn Heights. His house is probably worth 70 - 150k IF. Obviously they never heard the saying , can't get blood from a stone. If they get 500k out of him, they will be lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm 
ADMIN

Detroit Porch Shooting: Defendant’s claim of “Accident” cost him “Self-Defense”
Posted by Andrew Branca
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at 6:00pm

One of the key messages I hit in my Law of Self Defense Seminars is that the use of force can only very rarely be both an “accident” AND “self-defense.”

Self-defense is an inherently deliberate act. You perceived a threat, you responded with force against that threat. Deliberate.

An accident is the opposite of a deliberate act. By definition, an accident is something you did not with to happen.

The law recognizes this disconnect. One either acts in deliberate self-defense, or has an accident. But one cannot claim both.

Further, when one has an “accident” while handling a firearm, there are are particular difficulties that arise.

A firearm is an inherently dangerous instrument. The standard of care while handling it is very, very high. And, in my professional experience, has only grown higher in the last 10-15 years.

Technically speaking, “accident” is a perfectly legitimate legal defense. But an accident is something that involves NO wrongdoing by the person raising the defense. If you are handling a modern firearm, the only way that gun will discharge is if you depress the trigger. That’s on YOU. And it is NOT an accident, especially if it results in harm or death to another person–it’s criminal negligence.

Today we learn that the jurors in the Detroit front-porch shooting trial–in which homeowner Theodore Wafer shot a very drunk 19-year-old Renisha McBride through the head with a 12 gauge shotgun–felt very much the same way, as reported by the Detroit Free Press, entitled “Juror: ‘No one’ believed Wafer killed McBride in self-defense”

...more at link

http://nblo.gs/ZtHk8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm 
ADMIN

Prosecutors, defense wide apart on possible sentence for man in Detroit-area porch shooting
Theodore Wafer due in court Wednesday

DETROIT -
Prosecutors are recommending at least 17 years in prison for a Detroit-area man who killed an unarmed woman on his porch, while his lawyer is urging a judge to go as low as six years.

Theodore Wafer, 55, of Dearborn Heights returns to court Wednesday, about a month after he was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting of Renisha McBride.

In a court filing, Wayne County prosecutors said Wafer's sentencing guidelines for murder call for a minimum punishment anywhere between 15 and 25 years in prison. That would be in addition to an automatic two-year sentence for unlawful use of a gun.

Prosecutors said they would be comfortable with a sentence within the guidelines. Wafer, like other convicts, could be released by the Michigan parole board after he serves whatever minimum sentence is ordered by Judge Dana Hathaway.

The guidelines for his sentence are enhanced because the jury also convicted Wafer of manslaughter, assistant prosecutor Athina Siringas said.

"There are no compelling, objective and verifiable reasons ... that would justify a downward departure from the guideline range," she wrote.

Defense attorney Cheryl Carpenter countered with her own 12-page filing Thursday, urging Hathaway to go well below the guidelines and sentence Wafer to as few as six years in prison, including two for the gun crime.

"The facts and circumstances of this case are more akin to manslaughter than murder," Carpenter said. "It does not seem fair or just that a person who does not intend to kill another person is convicted of murder."

...more at link
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pros ... g/27833082

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:16 am 
ADMIN

The Trial File@TheTrialFile

Just a reminder: #TheodoreWafer sentencing for the 2nd Degree murder conviction of #RenishaMcBride is 9:00am tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next